• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

unspayed doe with lumps help!

Louise G

Warren Scout
We took on an unwanted doe who is four/five years old dwarf lop. She has a great appetite and is fine in herself but i noticed when handling her she has one nipple that is surrounded by quite a large hard lump. Another nipple also has a lump but considerably smaller. I will take her to the vets tomorrow. she has never been bred but had rabbit syphallis or some sort of STD which we had swabbed and treated a while ago. From what i can find on the net it might be mastitis but i cant seem to find proper symptoms listed anywhere, or for cancer etc and im worried. any ideas? thanks xxx

There is a likelihood it could be the end of a false pregnancy, but its definitely best to get a full vet check ASAP. With mastitis, I believe the nipples go black (seen some pics of someones bunny who had mastitis which caused black nipples) but I don't know if that's in every case or just in feeding does or whatever.

thanks... they arent black at the moment. Im going to take her tomorrow, Im just really worried now incase its something serious, shes such a lovely girl x

If she hasn't been lactating, its not very likely to be mastitis. Rabbits with mastitis, will have hot, tender nipples, most likely with a stinky discharge. As she isn't spayed, the lumps are probably mammary tumours, which may or may not be malignant.

Thanks for your advice, we took Chloe to the vets and they said they dont think it is cancer because she would probably be dead by now as shes not far off five. They said she has tumours but they could be harmless and if she does cut her open and remove the lumps and find it is cancer...what then because they cant really treat it, it would have spread too far :/ I really hope it is harmless because i love her to bits. Yet again the vets did not miraculously fix my bunny. I often feel they get paid a lot to say 'theres nothing we can do really' x

Did they not suggest spaying her?

I had a rabbit with major uterine cancer and her nipples had infected cysts. After the spay she live for another 18 months otherwise she would have been dead in weeks. She was nearly 5 when she was spayed and 6 and a half when she died.

I would definately want a second opinion, she could be in pain :(

Thanks for your advice, we took Chloe to the vets and they said they dont think it is cancer because she would probably be dead by now as shes not far off five. They said she has tumours but they could be harmless and if she does cut her open and remove the lumps and find it is cancer...what then because they cant really treat it, it would have spread too far :/ I really hope it is harmless because i love her to bits. Yet again the vets did not miraculously fix my bunny. I often feel they get paid a lot to say 'theres nothing we can do really' x

To be honest at 5 if she has cancer it wouldn't be possible to 'get rid' of it by spaying her or operating, they are small animals and the cells will be in her blood and re-appear somewhere else, I would concentrate on giving her the best possible life you can and watch her closely for signs of not eating, tooth grinding etc as she may require pain relief later on. I wouldn't risk operating on a rabbit at 5.

To be honest at 5 if she has cancer it wouldn't be possible to 'get rid' of it by spaying her or operating, they are small animals and the cells will be in her blood and re-appear somewhere else, I would concentrate on giving her the best possible life you can and watch her closely for signs of not eating, tooth grinding etc as she may require pain relief later on. I wouldn't risk operating on a rabbit at 5.

Really, If they have uterine cancer at any age to give them a chance of a longer life. I certainly wouldn't leave them with it and do nothing :?

Really, If they have uterine cancer at any age to give them a chance of a longer life. I certainly wouldn't leave them with it and do nothing :?

I kind of feel the same way with dogs aswell and possibly humans, I think once you get past a certain age it always comes back, better to enjoy what time you have left, in humans it's a bit more positive because of chemo but, with animals especially little rabbits, I wouldn't risk it at her age, just my view. Sometimes it's accepting that it's time. This doe might only have benign ones with a bit of luck. Just to clarify I am referring to spaying in 'senior' age groups when tumours are present :wave:

Last edited:
I would too, Liz. I think if she was my bun I would ask for a second opinion by a rabbit savvy vet who is confident with spaying and maybe an x-ray to see whether tumours can be detected in the uterus and in particular whether anything has spread to the lungs.

It is always possible that it's mammary tumours unlinked to uterine cancer - my previous vet said that she saw these occasionally and they tended not to recur once removed. Because they're near the surface they're not too invasive to remove - but having said that if I was putting an unspayed 4/5 year old under GA I would have her spayed anyway. I don't think that 5 is exceptionally old for a bunny; rescues spay at that age quite regularly - and a spay now could save a lot of pain for her later on.

In any case I do think it's worth further investigation and if the lungs are clear I would probably opt for a spay and removal of the mammary lumps assuming that the bun is in otherwise good health.

But cancer hasn't even been diagnosed, so I couldn't do nothing. If she is neutered then at least you will know for certain if the uterous is cancerous, as will a biopsy of the mammery lumps. If its not then you have prevented it, if it is hopefullyit will extend her life, so its win, win in my book. I would be very worried about having a vet that didn;t want to investigate this further

We took in a rabbit that had been left with untreated uterine cancer and secondary mammory growths, I can honestly say it was the most horrific thing I have ever seen. we couldn;t get her to the vets quick enough to end her pain :(

To me 5 years certainly isn't old. If I decided not to treat any animal at 5 and leave them to it then that is nearly every rabbit we have here :? Surely they deserve treatment and a chance to extend their lives. Dumpling certainly lived life to the full during her extra 18 months

As for what to do, I think it depends on the rabbit and the situation and the standard of health of that rabbit.

If uterine cancer was determined and the rabbit was ready to go, or deteriorating then I'm not sure I would spay. However, if there was doubt, or the bunny clearly wanted to live or fight, or was otherwise healthy then I too don't think I could just let the bunny die.

I tend to do whatever I think is best for the bunny, so that would fuel my decision, but from what has been said here, I would be inclined to agree with getting a second opinion and further diagnostic tests.

I guess the situation we had with Summer was similar. She had a skin tumour and we removed it even though it was cancer and we suspected it had spread. She was full of life and full of beans and she lived so happily for another six months.

I think I would also carry eternal guilt if I didn't do what I felt was in the best interest of the bunny, and made informed decisions.

But cancer hasn't even been diagnosed, so I couldn't do nothing. If she is neutered then at least you will know for certain if the uterous is cancerous, as will a biopsy of the mammery lumps. If its not then you have prevented it, if it is hopefullyit will extend her life, so its win, win in my book. I would be very worried about having a vet that didn;t want to investigate this further

We took in a rabbit that had been left with untreated uterine cancer and secondary mammory growths, I can honestly say it was the most horrific thing I have ever seen. we couldn;t get her to the vets quick enough to end her pain :(

To me 5 years certainly isn't old. If I decided not to treat any animal at 5 and leave them to it then that is nearly every rabbit we have here :? Surely they deserve treatment and a chance to extend their lives. Dumpling certainly lived life to the full during her extra 18 months

I am saying what I'm saying because the vet has obviously assessed the doe and I am assuming maybe doesn't think she is up to the surgery, I had my dog operated on at 10 years of age to remove a benign mammory tumour in the September by the following May I was having to PTS, I think the strain of the anathestic on her heart was a contributory factor. My OH has a friend who is currently dying in hospital, they removed his bladder a few weeks ago and told him he was clear of cancer, this Monday he had a scan and is riddled with it. :( It's a gamble whichever way you go I would say, it won't hurt to get another opinion but, you do need to have direct guidance as to what the prognosis is likely to be if she does have cancer - that is what I think the vet is probably worried about, opening her up and finding that he has released the cells into the bloodstream. 5 years old isn't old in terms of the optimum age for survival lets say 8-10 but, in the scheme of things that rabbit is probably about 65 years of age.

But according to the OP, the vet said that they didn't think it was cancer because she would probably be dead by now :? Personally I don't think that's a very thorough diagnosis on which I'd be happy to accept any decisions of treatment/non treatment.

My previous cat Sooty had a dental at 18.5 years of age, because it got to the point where it was that or pts. We decided to risk it on the basis that even if he didn't make it through the GA, he wasn't going to live without it anyway. He lived another 18 months so the experience of whether to go for it or not cuts both ways.

But according to the OP, the vet said that they didn't think it was cancer because she would probably be dead by now :? Personally I don't think that's a very thorough diagnosis on which I'd be happy to accept any decisions of treatment/non treatment.

Exactly, I sorry but I wouldn't take a vets word on a diagnosis if this is how they come to their conclusion. maybe there was more to the consult, but given the info that has been posted I would be extremely concerned about this rabbit being left with no further diagnositics

I agree, by what I have read I think that I would have more tests run to see what the lumps were. If it was my rabbit I would have x-rays taken and if the all clear was given get her spayed and lumps removed. But then again I haven't seen this rabbit, just know what I have read.

wow, thankyou so much for all your advice and opinions. I have read them all. I have been away at university and my mum looks after the rabbits and spoils them rotten. She takes them to the vets if there is the slightest problem to be on the safe side and has informed me that this is the second visit about chloes lumps. The vet who saw her the first time said the lumps were a result of the end of a phantom pregnancy and were nothing to worry about. My mum asked this second vet about spaying her and the vet said that if she has made it to 5 without spaying then she should be ok as apparently if uterine/overian cancer strikes it tends to be by the age of five as 0-5 is the highest risk. I don't know what to do now. I will definately seek a third opinion but I will have to look into where to go. I am sick of taking rabbits to the vets only to be charged a fortune and palmed off. I really don't think a lot of vets care or have the knowlege about rabbits. They seem to be more willing to help cats and dogs. Our vets are supposed to be trained in exotic animals as well. Does anyone live in Derby and know of a good rabbit vet they can reccommend? Chloe is the only female rabbit we have who is not spayed and we would have spayed her at 5months if we had had her from a baby. Health wise she is ok. She is a cheeky bunny and loves attention. She runs around the garden in the daytime and goes in her large hutch in the garage at nightime with her hubby Jack who is neutered. She came to me with syphallis and we did not know so we had her swabbed (and jack) and both treated for this. She has an ulcerated inner eyelid which she has had an injection for and drops in three times a day. This is the second vet we have been to about her eye aswell as the first said she just had a scarred lense, 'nothing to worry about'. anyway sorry for such a long post. I just love them so much and I'd hate to see them suffer. Ive just rescued a four year old continental giant who probably hasnt got long left but had terrible feet and a bad eye which are on the mend now. Another huge vets bill... my mum will kill me xx

Aw, poor you. Thank goodness for your mum :)

It might be worth starting a thread in rabbit chat, with something like 'Does anyone know a good rabbit vet in/near Derby' and see if anyone can recommend one.

I hope you can find someone you trust.

wow, thankyou so much for all your advice and opinions. I have read them all. I have been away at university and my mum looks after the rabbits and spoils them rotten. She takes them to the vets if there is the slightest problem to be on the safe side and has informed me that this is the second visit about chloes lumps. The vet who saw her the first time said the lumps were a result of the end of a phantom pregnancy and were nothing to worry about. My mum asked this second vet about spaying her and the vet said that if she has made it to 5 without spaying then she should be ok as apparently if uterine/overian cancer strikes it tends to be by the age of five as 0-5 is the highest risk. I don't know what to do now. I will definately seek a third opinion but I will have to look into where to go. I am sick of taking rabbits to the vets only to be charged a fortune and palmed off. I really don't think a lot of vets care or have the knowlege about rabbits. They seem to be more willing to help cats and dogs. Our vets are supposed to be trained in exotic animals as well. Does anyone live in Derby and know of a good rabbit vet they can reccommend? Chloe is the only female rabbit we have who is not spayed and we would have spayed her at 5months if we had had her from a baby. Health wise she is ok. She is a cheeky bunny and loves attention. She runs around the garden in the daytime and goes in her large hutch in the garage at nightime with her hubby Jack who is neutered. She came to me with syphallis and we did not know so we had her swabbed (and jack) and both treated for this. She has an ulcerated inner eyelid which she has had an injection for and drops in three times a day. This is the second vet we have been to about her eye aswell as the first said she just had a scarred lense, 'nothing to worry about'. anyway sorry for such a long post. I just love them so much and I'd hate to see them suffer. Ive just rescued a four year old continental giant who probably hasnt got long left but had terrible feet and a bad eye which are on the mend now. Another huge vets bill... my mum will kill me xx

I think that is bad advice that you have been given. Rabbits can get uterine cancer at any age and she certainly isn't safe until she is spayed. It is completely your decision and I know how hard and scary it must be to put a 5 year old rabbit under an anaesthetic but I would seriously consider it.

Back