• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Joined up poops

carrots' patch

Alpha Buck
My bun Carrot (she's 5 1/2 yrs old) has been doing a few poops which are kind of joined by a string, hard to describe but they are 2 normal poops but joined. Also had a few splatty sort of poops in her cage today. She is eating and drinking normally, no quieter thn usual.
She has unlimited hay, 1 eggcup of Science Selective a day and some fresh veg (spring greens, parnips this morning). I only found out the other day from this forum that Science Selective do a mature rabbit food so am going to change her on to that but haven't as yet.
I have fed her nothing different lately.
Any ideas?

Is she moulting?

Mine get what I lovingly refer to as 'rope-poos' :)lol:) when they're moulting. You'd probably find the stringy stuff is actually fur that she's managed to ingest if you picked it apart.

My bun Carrot (she's 5 1/2 yrs old) has been doing a few poops which are kind of joined by a string, hard to describe but they are 2 normal poops but joined. Also had a few splatty sort of poops in her cage today. She is eating and drinking normally, no quieter thn usual.
She has unlimited hay, 1 eggcup of Science Selective a day and some fresh veg (spring greens, parnips this morning). I only found out the other day from this forum that Science Selective do a mature rabbit food so am going to change her on to that but haven't as yet.
I have fed her nothing different lately.
Any ideas?

Most buns are moulting heavily as losing the winter coat which is very thick to grow a thinner summer one. If you break the strung droppings open with your fingers you will probably find this is fur that has been ingested.
Whilst buns are designed to cope with ingesting certain amounts of fur - too much can cause the gut to slow down.
The best thing you can do is brush bunny daily and feed lots of hay to improve gut motility. Giving veggies still wet after washing them will help hydrate the gut and also improve motility. :wave:

Thank you for the quick replies.
Moulting - yes pretty much continually for the last few months! I do brush her as much as poss till she gets fed up with me! I will try and do it a bit more and will pick apart the poos to have a look. The things we do!
She has done a few more splats since I posted so have been picking them out of her hutch, checking her bum and keeping an eye on her.

Thank you for the quick replies.
Moulting - yes pretty much continually for the last few months! I do brush her as much as poss till she gets fed up with me! I will try and do it a bit more and will pick apart the poos to have a look. The things we do!
She has done a few more splats since I posted so have been picking them out of her hutch, checking her bum and keeping an eye on her.

Our long-haired bun always passes a caecotroph before passing strung droppings. We brush her every day religiously. My theory is that the furry dropping causes a temporary slowing in her gut, that adversely effects her caecum temporarily - or makes the caecal timing go a bit hay wire for a moment - she passes the caecotroph first (won't eat it because it is dysbiotic no doubt) and then out comes the long stringy dropping. After that the droppings return to normal. I'm never surprised when I find an excess caecotroph before a stringy dropping - in fact I then look for the furry dropping as this is the only time she produces an excess caecotroph usually. Caecal passing is a reflex timing different to passing a normal stool - I think the temporary slow down interrupts it somehow.

It is possible that the 'splats' are unrelated. I would potentially give the veggies a miss for 48 hours and that should clear it up - or if you are worried about hydration in the heat - feed something less likely to cause caecal upset - carrot tops or fresh herbs. Spring greens are notorious for causing dysbiosis - certainly with our female bun.

Thanks prettylupin. I will give her some herbs rather than veg, are there any that are best avoided whilst she has this upset. I have parsley, rosemary, lemon balm, thyme (lemon and ord) and sage.

Thank you for the brilliant advice.

Thanks prettylupin. I will give her some herbs rather than veg, are there any that are best avoided whilst she has this upset. I have parsley, rosemary, lemon balm, thyme (lemon and ord) and sage.

Thank you for the brilliant advice.

Nope not really - all herbs are pretty safe for bun and cause little upset. Definitely all those mentioned - although mine don't like sage which is highly annoying as I have tons of the stuff! :lol:

If you have any apple leaves on an apple tree, or hazel tree? and definitely blackberry/bramble/ or raspberry leaves fed fresh or dried - are meant to be very good for scours in buns. There are some bramble converts on here - esp those with tummy bunnies! Mine love them - but I do tend to remove all thorns first cos one of my buns is a bit stoopid! :roll::D

Carrot is a notorious herb garden raider and will eat them all hence we have now fenced it off to give out other bun Tulip a fighting chance of getting some herbs!:lol: She will be pleased indeed to get extra herb helpings!
I will go for a walk to find some brambles, none in my garden unfortunately, only strawberry leaves! Think I will have to buy an apple tree and some raspberry canes ready for next year. Amazing how much of my garden is now given over to my buns!:lol:

Back