• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Aggression between 2 sisters

suzibunbun

Mama Doe
One Nethie sister has started being really aggressive to the other - at times they are so sweet cuddling up but other times 1 keeps chasing and attacking the other quite viciously - any idea why? I have heard that Nethies can be a bit vicious but these 2 can be so sweet together aswell

They are neutered i take it. I get my three girls running about chasing but they never hurt each other. Maybe the breed. I don't think my nethie would want another one being the queen bee. How vicious are they, i'd definately seperate them if it's bad. Jealousy perhaps?

Yes they were both neutered together a few months ago - it happened more so after this and is only one sister - the other is calmer - however they can both be picked up and cuddled with no problems - the white one always looks tatty and tifted with bits of fur sticking up - it seems a shame coz I think they really do love each other

My girls were always fur pulling and chasing before they were neutered, only just been done so not sure how they will be now. Is it really aggressive or just fur pulling? I would try putting them somewhere neutral for a while and sort of re-bonding them

There did only used to be the two of them free roaming but now there are 7 buns and they each have individual pens with a hutch and garden, they do have the biggest hutch - could one be jealous of the other because of other buns being around?

They might just be feeling the need to rearrange their pecking order because they can smell the other buns.

My males became temporarily more aggressive after neutering. My females have episodes where they seem more vicious, but i think it's harmless. Have you checked for any actual wounds? As long as there is no open wounds or signs of any real damage, i'm sure they will settle.

If they are around new bunnies, it can be that. If mine don't have covers on the sides of the runs, they aggrevate each other, they will chase alot more and get abit nasty if they can see each other. Scent doesn't cause so many problems if they are far enough away from each other, but definately sight. They get very territorial. Maybe that's why they are fighting because of the others.

It could be the smell of other buns in 'their' garden, they have had it to themselves for a long time and now they can smell other buns. Are the others all spayed/ neutered?

It could also be the time of year my lot have been having a few scuffles recently

There are 6 girls and 1 boy, he has been neutered and then only the 2 sisters have been, the others are a bit young yet but will be done. Maybe if I check for wounds as you say and if there are none not to worry too much, maybe it sounds worse than it really is betwee them two - saying that Rozie is vicious to all the other buns!:?

In that case it could well be the smell of the unneutered girl - my girls are far more territorial and likely to cause fights than my boys have ever been. You know what us hormonal women are like and it has been a lot of change for them in a short space of time :D

Back