• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

litter trays etc help

vix1983

New Kit
hiya.:wave:
my cheeky daisy is litter trained, but sometimes wees over the edge..bless her. so ive bought a bigger tray which she has used....i gradually got her used to it, just by leavin it out, so she could get used to hoppin into it as its a bit taller than her current 1, today ive put her current tray inside it and she has used it. i bought some wilkos cat tray liners and today she has been nibbling them....are they safe to use, as they have a scent?
thank you for you help xx

just to add...i line the trays with newspaper, woodchips and hay...she likes a eat the newspaper:roll:

Last edited:
hiya.:wave:
my cheeky daisy is litter trained, but sometimes wees over the edge..bless her. so ive bought a bigger tray which she has used....i gradually got her used to it, just by leavin it out, so she could get used to hoppin into it as its a bit taller than her current 1, today ive put her current tray inside it and she has used it. i bought some wilkos cat tray liners and today she has been nibbling them....are they safe to use, as they have a scent?
thank you for you help xx

just to add...i line the trays with newspaper, woodchips and hay...she likes a eat the newspaper:roll:

I can not coment on the cat tray liners as I am not familular with them but I would say if she is nibbling and ingesting anything other than hay then it is probably wise to remove them.
A small amount of newspaper is ok but if she is actually eating lots of it then I would not use it, you can get natural based litter- Naturals Luxuary Litter which is what I use or a lot of people on here use Yesterdays News or Megazorb.
In regards to the wood shavings would not use them, there have been studies that show they can cause respitory problems in rabbits.

A lot of people use puppy training pads (myself included) and these are fine, so I think cat litter tray liners should be fine :wave: as rachylou said though, if she eats them leave them out :)

I used to use woodchips but after reading advice on here I switched to Megazorb, it is much more cost-effective - it goes further and you don't use as much - and better for them. You can buy it from equine supply shops or from the Hay Experts website :wave:

My little monsters love weeing over the side! I got a washing up bowl instead of a litter tray :lol: seems to have stopped them but they can still knock it over :roll:

thanks for your help.
she does tend to sit there and eat the newspaper:roll: even tho she has hay all the time.
as today was the 1st day with the liners she is just investigating i hope, but if i find she is tucking into them, i will remove them.
nicola- daisy likes to knock the tray over....or pull the newspaper out. they are little monkeys!
might try the puppy trainig pads
xx

Back