• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit eaten polythene

Stuart99

New Kit
Our pet rabbit is 7 to 8 months old. Last night I was foolish enough to leave a polythene bag close enough to the cage for him to pull it in and eat some of it. There is one to two square inches missing. I've been to the vet who says until the plastic passes through there is always a danger of it causing a blockage. We need to be examining his droppings until we see that the plastic pieces have come out. Could be six months. Has anybody any experience of this please?

Peter

sorry I have no experience with plastic but my two have eaten plenty they shouldn't :? Don't really know what to advise other than plenty hay and water and keep a close eye, sending loads of vibes, hope your bun is ok x

Thank you, that is what we are doing. Our rabbit is ok so far. It's strange, I expected that this event would have been more common than this. I guess most people with pet rabbits are more careful than me and don't leave plastic bags close to the cage.

Peter

Mine have had nibbles of plastic as I use plastic sheeting to protect my carpet under a duvet I have on the floor and also on my bed to protect my duvet. They normally nibble it and shred it but don't ingest it however. Mischa once ate part of his litter tray when he was younger but again I'm not sure he actually ingested it.

Thank you, that is what we are doing. Our rabbit is ok so far. It's strange, I expected that this event would have been more common than this. I guess most people with pet rabbits are more careful than me and don't leave plastic bags close to the cage.

Peter

It's easily done :) Don't give yourself a hard time. I'm sure your bun will be fine and it will work its way through eventually. Lots of buns eat all sorts of things they shouldn't and seem to get away with it! :)

Don't beat yourself up about it, they're very inventive. :roll: My Vin got hold of puppy training pads which had plastic of some description in them, plus absorbant material which I was really worried about. :shock: The advice my vet gave was to keep an eye on her, make sure she's munching hay and drinking, and it should pass through.

Now these pads were under layers of cardboard which was in turn held down by bricks...she chewed through several layers of cardboard to get to them...inventive...yeah. :roll:

My buns have eaten various plastic things, on my sons birthday Feegal managed to eat a part of a play mat that changes color when wet.

They have always been fine after:D

I can't imagine why they eat them, apart from the amusement they must get from seeing us freak:roll:

My buns have eaten various plastic things, on my sons birthday Feegal managed to eat a part of a play mat that changes color when wet.

They have always been fine after:D

I can't imagine why they eat them, apart from the amusement they must get from seeing us freak:roll:

Must be the reason :lol:

My piggies managed to drag a carrier bag into their pen :shock: not sure if they swallowed any, but they've been fine :)

Peter

Don't beat yourself up - rabbits will chew anything if they can get close enough :roll:

I was cleaning under the hutches in the far corners yesterday, and found some chewed up blue tarpaulin. Some naughty bunny had managed to pull it in through the wire mesh and a layer of brushwood to chomp at it :roll:

Hopefully your bun will be fine.

Once you've been on here a while you'll realise we all spend a lot of time examining our rabbits poops and also talking about them a lot :lol:

Mine have eaten polythene too despite my best efforts... they like to jump on the dirty litter bag and tear holes in it whilst im cleaning them out (lovely!) and eat bits before I can stop them. They have also pulled the bin bag into the cage before.

Just keep an eye on them as the others have suggested, and dont worry, they are very inventive!

Thanks everyone. I feel happier now. I've been examining his tors every day but haven't found anything. Maybe he didn't ingest after all.

Peter

Mango's tummy was made upset by a few mint leaves, but he ate rubber and absolutely nothing happened... he even chewed it like it was so tasty!
Maia jumped on my desk and wreaked havoc in my cables, and while she was there she had a snack on my scented candles. :shock: I only realized it after a couple of days. She looked perfectly fine.
Rabbit's digestive system is a mystery to me. :lol:

Our chap likes books, the older and tattier the better. He particularly enjoys the spines:roll:

His other favourite is wax earplugs, carelessly left under the bed (OH snores). I was worried half to death the first time I realised he had eaten most of one, I was convinced it would block his guts and kill him. He's still here, and I am now much more careful.
I can't get over what they can get away with. The number of cables our last rabbit managed to chew his way through was incredible, and he never fried himself. This one won't get that oportunity as we are much more clued up now.

But fabrics :roll: - you can't do much about those and he loves them. Tassells in particular. He knows he shouldn't do it, too, because if you catch him at it he runs off and stamps his feet before you even have a chance to tell him off.

Hows your bun today? Any sign of the plastic?
Jimby is a master at eating things he shouldnt, he even takes things out of the bina nd my handbag!! :lol:
Most of the things he has eaten have gone unnoticed in his poops, sometimes they chew things up so small that yoiu would not see them.

I have lost tracj of everything Strawberry has eaten but things that come to mind are;

pasta (both cooked and dry)
carrier bags
newspaper
wood pellet litter
wood from his run
carpet
lino flooring
skirting boards
plaster off the walls
electric wires

he is still living to tell the tale!

I have lost tracj of everything Strawberry has eaten but things that come to mind are;

pasta (both cooked and dry)
carrier bags
newspaper
wood pellet litter
wood from his run
carpet
lino flooring
skirting boards
plaster off the walls
electric wires

he is still living to tell the tale!

:lol: Jimby can trump that list!

Here are just a few...

Rubber ear phone bits
Numerous cables... including £100 straightners!!
Plaster from walls
Paper
Tissues
Kitchen Rolls
Plastic bags
Towels
Chocolate foil wrapper
Carpet
Duvet
Wood furniture
Vet bed
Numerous blankets
Wood pellet litter
Newspaper
Carefresh
Safe bed
Wood shavings
Crisps
Recipts
Rubber from hubby's playstation control!! :lol:
DVDS
Teddies
Skirting boards
Cardboard
hmmm I am sure theres more too... :roll:

I have only one norty bunneh.. thats Pickle!

He has eaten the No4 button on my remote control and also eaten through zips on my lovely knee high boots....

Still love him tho :love:

Back