• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

worming- when and how?

hunniebun

New Kit
hi, i havent kept bunnies for a few years and now have two little foster bunnies :love:
i have heard that they should be wormed and just want to ask when and how. they are 8 and 9 weeks old.

also at what age do i get them vaccinated? and against what?
:oops:sorry one last question......what is EC? is there prevention?

thanks.......louise x

Last edited:
They need vaccinating against myxomatosis and VHD :wave: a couple of vets have told me they have to be 12 weeks old, but I think it might not matter really. The vaccinations need to be two weeks apart.

Opinions seem pretty divided on worming - some people only recommend it when your rabbits actually have worms, others use it as a preventative measure.

EC is a head tilt (can't remember what it stands for :oops:). There are several threads about it, I'm not really sure if you can prevent it. I think it often starts as an inner ear infection.

They need vaccinating against myxomatosis and VHD :wave: a couple of vets have told me they have to be 12 weeks old, but I think it might not matter really. The vaccinations need to be two weeks apart.

Opinions seem pretty divided on worming - some people only recommend it when your rabbits actually have worms, others use it as a preventative measure.

EC is a head tilt (can't remember what it stands for :oops:). There are several threads about it, I'm not really sure if you can prevent it. I think it often starts as an inner ear infection.

i think you can prevent EC by using spot on's..:)

Hi
Yep agree with the above - vaccinate against myxi and VHD at around twelve weeks.

EC is e cuniculi a horrible parasite that does awful damage to a bun regardless of age / sex/ vaccinations etc. It is believed that many healthy rabbits carry it and it is likely to come out at times of stress or even other illnesses when the bun's immune system is compromised.

I don't know about a spot on but I do know you can give Panacur which can be bought in liquid form from P@H - it costs around £18 a bottle for the 10% strength but I would have to check dosage and you would need to know the bun's weight. Alternativley your vet can set you up with a bottle and confirm the correct dosage and advise as necessary re age etc.

We 'panacur' ours now every few months and it is a 28 day dose. We also wash all areas and cages with a nine parts water / one part bleach solution and then rinse thorroughly to kill the spores which come from an infected rabbit's wee and can live for up to 28 days on clothes, bedding, floors even grass.

Apparantly EC cases are on the increase too.

Again your vet could advise you so perhaps this is something you could enquire about when you check out vaccinations.

Good luck :wave:

We were told that pinky may have had EC and the Panacur we use it the cream you give in tube form, apparently on the back it says you are supposed to do it 2-4 times yearly. The vets sold it for £8 something but i found out that P@H sold it for just over £6 a tube which had ten doses in it. ive seen it for half that price on the internet, but I am a bit wary about buying medicine on the internet from places that I haven't heard of. My rabbit is very fussy and got around this by disguising between a couple of her fav herb leaves. Basil works a treat :D

We were told that pinky may have had EC and the Panacur we use it the cream you give in tube form, apparently on the back it says you are supposed to do it 2-4 times yearly. The vets sold it for £8 something but i found out that P@H sold it for just over £6 a tube which had ten doses in it. ive seen it for half that price on the internet, but I am a bit wary about buying medicine on the internet from places that I haven't heard of. My rabbit is very fussy and got around this by disguising between a couple of her fav herb leaves. Basil works a treat :D

I've twice gotten Panacur from Vets UK for about £3.50. Have ordered in total three times from then and never had any problems with them.

I used to give it four times a year but I'm not so sure about that now. I don't really know what to do with Panacur now although I have four tubes in so I always have some on hand for any time I suspect EC.

Back