• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

weight

neenee

Warren Scout
I can never get accurate answers on the net so thought id ask the experts ;)
I got all my three weighed today the results were

Chiron the french lop is 2.75 kg
Neela the lionhead is 1.25 kg She has had alot of problems including dental, she is the reason i was at the vets as you can feel all her ribs, she just never seems to gain weight.
Rufas the mini lop is 1.45 kg

Just to add chiron is 12 weeks old and rufas is 6 months, i still consider both babies lol.
So what is the "normal" weight for these breeds in your opinions? I did think rufas was a bit chubby to touch although after all neelas weight problems he probably ok ive just got used to touching a skeleton :(. Im feeding chiron more because he seems skinny to touch and ive been told to feed lots of pellets during his growing as hes a giant breed. Never a happy medium here! :roll:

I suspect the reason that you won't find an accurate answer on the net is the same reason that you won't get an accurate answer here either! It's a bit like asking how tall an english woman should be and how much she should weigh - it's impossible to say.

Of course there are general parameters but everyone and everybun is an individual and how much they "should" weigh depends on their individual sizing and genetics. According to the British Rabbit Council, a netherland dwarf should weigh about 900g for example, yet I have a netherland dwarf who at the "right" weight for his own size is 1300g. If I followed the guidelines I would have a horribly underweight bunny.

The best way to tell is to run your hand across your bunny's back and down their hips. You should be able to make out the spine, hip bones and ribs, but they should not be hugely prominent (e.g. feeling down the sides of the spine/hips rather than just the top) or hugely hidden. Feeling the tum is not an easy way to ascertain correct weight as rabbits always have full bellies - over the top is much easier :)

I so agree!!

My bunnies are Nethies. One weighs 1.2kg and one is 1.4kg. Neither are under or overweight for their size.:wave:

I suspect the reason that you won't find an accurate answer on the net is the same reason that you won't get an accurate answer here either! It's a bit like asking how tall an english woman should be and how much she should weigh - it's impossible to say.

Of course there are general parameters but everyone and everybun is an individual and how much they "should" weigh depends on their individual sizing and genetics. According to the British Rabbit Council, a netherland dwarf should weigh about 900g for example, yet I have a netherland dwarf who at the "right" weight for his own size is 1300g. If I followed the guidelines I would have a horribly underweight bunny.

The best way to tell is to run your hand across your bunny's back and down their hips. You should be able to make out the spine, hip bones and ribs, but they should not be hugely prominent (e.g. feeling down the sides of the spine/hips rather than just the top) or hugely hidden. Feeling the tum is not an easy way to ascertain correct weight as rabbits always have full bellies - over the top is much easier :)

Thats how i know neela is under weight, i can feel every knobbly bit on her spine :( I guess your right, you know yourself if your rabbit is under weight or over weight i just want to know im doing the right thing and feeding my rabbits enough/too much pellets :)

Back