• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

new cage layout

willowholly

Mama Doe
In all the years I've had houserabbits ive always had a cage with straw as bedding & 1 or 2 litter trays-whether the bun has been free range or not.Last week I took out all of straw & replaced it with a square litter tray in the opposite end to corner tray & an old towel in between.This was brilliant as could clean them thoroughly every day.The only problem is the cage looks such a mess in between daily cleans as B digs litter everywhere & wees on towel.Also had to shut them away last night as they were being so noisy & neighbours bedroom next to theirs & they didn't seem to know where to sleep.Went down to check on them an hour later & they didn't seem relaxed so took square litter tray out & left them to it.They dont seem to enjoy their cage as they used to.B used to often sleep in there but now only goes in for a wee.Should i perserveer as its more hygeinic or should I go back to the straw.With the straw they are cleaned out twice a week & litter tray changed nightly.It doesn't smell but it looks a mess either way as B digs out litter tray.

Nope...I think the only option is to get rid of the bunnies, and send them to me!! ;) :lol::lol:

I have had to take blankets/vetbed/anything soft from all of mine(the three and the two!) as they use it as a toilet :roll:
They now have doormats or bathmats which they are going through (chew wise) every week - that's the maximum i can put up with it til i buy them a new one :oops:
They use their litter trays and used to sleep in them but now they seem to have stopped. They just can't play nice and have a blanket though even though i've told them to stop weeing on them!!!

p.s they do make a mess too and dig the litter everywhere :roll:

Ive changed their cage around again.Didn't like the thought of something un edible in cage especially when caught Dill chewing & eating a mat.They now have a big square tray & corner tray taken out,& a very thin layer of straw so I can still clean them out daily.I used to fill cage of straw & clean out every 3-4days.This seems to be working quite well.There is enough straw for B to dig but not so much that it would be a waste to clean out daily & they are only weeing in litter tray now which B has never done before.Dill has always been perfectly litter trained.:D

Back