• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hates being picked up, loves cuddles.

Vixen

Young Bun
Turvey is a funny old stick, he HATES being picked up but LOVES cuddles. If I am getting them out in the morning he will leg it and hide until I can get him and as soon as he is on my chest he is all licks and snuggles. It is the same story when ever I go and get them (Topsy is ambivalent to cuddles...she likes them but prefers to be free to watch the world go by!). Is this normal or should we work on picking them up more?

:wave: Hi, I've got a simular thing with my two. They both enjoy cuddles but hate being picked up. I've tried to increase picking them up but they just get wise to it and run off whenever they see me near the hutch :roll: What I do now is give them a treat then pick them up really slowly just a few inches off the ground then put them down again and give another treat. I'm sure they are a bit better now as they know they are having two treats!! Or you can try what my OH does and just sits by their hutch for ages and lets them hop out onto his lap, they really seem to love him as he's not really 'picking them up' as such. Good luck, let us know how you get on. :D

Smudge has never liked to be picked up and cuddled. Think logically, rabbits are prey animals, and when theyre picked up in the wild its never for a good reason. I never pressured Smudge into anything, always respected she didnt want to be cuddled the human way, gave her cuddles on the ground and always have spoken to her telling her shes brilliant etc. Just building up that trust is so vital, try going to his level? Pickle hasn't a problem with getting picked up, but does prefer being smooched and laid all over on the ground.

Smudge is now much happier about being picked up and can sit in my arms an awful long time because we have such immense respect and trust in each other. I always treat her afterwards. So positive reinforcement is important too :) Bunnies love to be told theyre good and the best bunnies in the world, so lots of kind words will help:D

Silly bunny mummy raises a good point, we all know bunnies are nosy little sods :lol: you could try sitting on the floor and letting him come to you. Smudge and Titch use me as a climbing frame, must admit I love it!

Hope that helps :)

I have the same probs sometimes - and when we have a bad kicking out pick up day - well we go 3 step back!:(

But - lots of soft talking & relaxed tone is the most important - seems as soon as I act like its no big deal - they get over it & relax alot more - even get a bit cheeky I think!:D

I always treat after picking them up - but they wise up to finding an escape route sometimes!.....perhaps patience, practice & lotsa "Youre such a good bunny":lol::lol::lol:

Back