• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sore Hocks

A thin layer of sudocrem is really helping prevent sore hocks on Mimi at the moment. She started to get one on one foot so I started with the sudocrem as soon as i spotted it and it works really well :)
But like Jane said it does depend on whats causing it? xxx

Nothing yet, but a few people have said Harvey looks like he has some Rex in him, and I just wondered what I could do to stop him getting them :) I read that I should line the hutch with hay?

I am interested in this, I have a Rex rabbit who was a 'hutch bun' and now has more space so moves around a bit more, I noticed he has a couple of bare patches on his hocks and mentioned it to the vet when he went in for neutering, the vet said to make the surface he is on as soft as possible with lots of hay (which he had but, I have made it even thicker) and to put him on grass as much as possible, he said it is most likely the position of his foot is putting pressure on his hocks and that the surface area needs to be as natural as possible - I am keeping a close eye on it but, interested to see what causes it, what to do to help it from getting worse etc

My lops have been having problems with sore hocks.

Vet suggested witchhazel which we have been doing, not regularly, probably about once a week as you have to watch them to make sure they don't lick it off.

We also covered all vetbed with a sheet or pillow case to stop the friction and covered some of the carpet with a duvet or vetbed, sheet combo. This really helped then unfortunately we had to take out their sleepy shelf as they were weeing a lot and it was going over the edge and down the wall and they started sleeping on the carpet and they started coming back. Put the shelf back as the wee problem resolved and they are improving again.

It seems to me that the biggest issue is to make somewhere soft and pliable but not abrasive where they tend to sleep. Especially if they tend to sleep in the 'loaf' position with back feet tucked under.

Back