• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Question - advice for sore hocks

Sore hocks can be a secondary symptom of another problem such as arthritis or obesity. So it’s important to consult a Vet before you start trying ‘natural’ treatments. ‘Natural’ doesn’t always mean safe or beneficial. And if the sore hocks are caused by another problem then that other problem needs treatment too. Otherwise the sore hock problem will become chronic.

What treatment is needed for sore hocks will depend on the cause, the extent of the lesions, if there is infection present etc. A prescription only anti inflammatory analgesic is always needed. Only a Vet can provide this. Appropriate housing is another important aspect. The Rabbit should have plenty of space to exercise. Substrates such as carpet and concrete are too abrasive, hard wood/vinyl floors mean the Rabbit cannot place their feet in the correct position as they hop,so they take too much weight on their hocks. The best substrate is thick,soft,clean and dry hay.

The Rabbit’s nails should be kept trimmed to the correct length. Over-grown nails causes the Rabbit to take too much weight on their hocks. Being overweight and/or being very sedentary increases the risk of sore hocks occurring. Some breed types are more prone to sore hocks, especially Rex coated Rabbits. In some Rex breed lines sore hocks can be a chronic condition requiring ongoing treatment/ management for life.

If you haven’t already done so I would take your Rabbit to a Vet ASAP.

Last edited:
Yeah I have taken my rabbit vets I have been using sudocrem but his hocks ain't very bad at the moment I was looking for something natural that might heal them

Yeah I have taken my rabbit vets I have been using sudocrem but his hocks ain't very bad at the moment I was looking for something natural that might heal them
They're hard to heal until you figure out what's caused them in the first place. Best plan is to figure out how the rabbit got them and make adjustments and see the vet for treatment for them, they can get very bad very quickly unfortunately unless they're addressed.

Where does your rabbit live? What's the flooring like?

Back