• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hay?

pinkyblare

Alpha Buck
after all the probs with Toto and his illness i am now looking for advice on Hay as i understand the importance of it it their diet now and none f my bunnies eat that much of it, i have been on "the hay Expert" website and seen they do a taster pack shall i try that to see what the most appetising, i have tried meadow hay and timothy hay from pets at home but they dont seem too appealing to any of them and i want to try tempt Toto back to health with a decent one any suggestions shall i just try order their sample pack let the bunnies chose

xxxx

Yeah I would try the sample pack. PAH hay is pretty horrible to be honest, the Timothy is the wrong colour as it's supposed to be green, not manky brown!

Yeah I would try the sample pack. PAH hay is pretty horrible to be honest, the Timothy is the wrong colour as it's supposed to be green, not manky brown!

Actually only first cut timothy is green, 2nd cut or a later cut is golden/brown. My timothy hay which is locally grown in Wales and is amazing stuff (but expensive :roll:) is mostly golden but huge long thick strands, it is only green or greenish if it was a good year and they got two cuts in I think. Oxbow timothy is always green as it is the softer 1st cut that they sell and ship over here.
BUT I completely agree - PAH hay looks and smells revolting - like dry dusty dead hay and my two would think I was having a laugh if I put that stuff out for them to eat! :lol:

The hayexperts does a taster selection pack of hays that you can try on your buns to see which they like best. My hay supplier also does a free trial box (but I think you pay for postage :?) http://www.willowwarren.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=trh2

Alternatively, find a local farm that grows horse quality hay and get a nice, sweet fresh bale of soft green hay for a couple of quid! :D But you will need somewhere dry to store it.

Thanks so much will def not buy PAH stuff again it does look dead and horrible not suprising my pooly bunny wont eat it, i have ordered the free sample pack and i will now proceed for the taster pack you mentioned see which one goes down well, how should i store the hay if its gone dried out too much does that lose its taste also? xx

Hmmm... we have been buying Tim hay out of P@H for conveniance sake (the size of the packaging and location)

Is it really that bad?! Bart munches through a hopper and a half of it per day, but if it's easier from these hay expert guys?

Storage is a problem for us!!

Actually only first cut timothy is green, 2nd cut or a later cut is golden/brown. My timothy hay which is locally grown in Wales and is amazing stuff (but expensive :roll:) is mostly golden but huge long thick strands, it is only green or greenish if it was a good year and they got two cuts in I think. Oxbow timothy is always green as it is the softer 1st cut that they sell and ship over here.

OOh thanks for that! Learn something new everyday!! :thumb:

Thanks so much will def not buy PAH stuff again it does look dead and horrible not suprising my pooly bunny wont eat it, i have ordered the free sample pack and i will now proceed for the taster pack you mentioned see which one goes down well, how should i store the hay if its gone dried out too much does that lose its taste also? xx

Hay is best stored somewhere dry with a humidity below 40% (we store ours in the house) and in a cardboard box so it can breathe naturally, but I would keep the box closed and away from strong odours and kitchen cooking as buns rely heavily on scent. My buns love it fresh from the box, not so much if it has been sat around all day in the open.

The stuff that you get in bags is fine kept in the bag as long as the bag has holes in it for it to breathe as plastic makes hay sweat if no ventilation. I would still store it somewhere dry and with plenty of air circulation around it. The hayexperts sells a cotton haybag that can be used instead of a plastic bag and can be reused over and over. I have a couple here that I use :)

We use old pillow cases for ours. We fill them about twice a week. Ours too like it fresh from the bag but not stuff which has been in their box for a few hours. They like it fresh so much they are often to be found IN the bag as I'm trying to get the hay OUT. :lol:

:wave: the hay samples from The Hay Experts are great, but be cautious not to overfeed on Readigrass as it is high in something bad, calcium I think :) you'll probably notice it changes the colour of their poos from golden to black :shock: it did in mine anyway!

thanks for advice will keep in box or get one of those of those hay bags and keep in house mine is stored in shed at mo but will bring in taken note on the ones not to give or overfeed on many thanks you guys have been my rock this week had lots response and helped me through (hopefully) getting my bunny back he is certainly on the mend (TOTO) xx:wave::love:

Hi there, there is a chap not far from you in Doveridge on the a50 that makes "dustfree hay" in small hessian sacks especially for rabbits. It is great and my rabbits thrive on it. Please reply if you would like more details

If you buy one of our hay sample packs your purchase goes to help the BARC Bunnies (The rescue Bunnymadhouse runs) and we also hay dust free hay available too.

Back