• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Newcastle Pet Shop - Evidence Needed

Nicola1

Wise Old Thumper
Ok, I know this is a long shot, but if you live in or around Newcastle chances are you know the state of Chillingham Road Pet Shop!! I have been in touch with Environmental Health (see thread http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=226987), and they said the animals must just have been cleaned out, but they'll keep an eye on things for the next two weeks and try to get the RSPCA involved.
If you are also concerned about this shop, or if you have any photographic evidence of their neglect, please PM me and I'll give you my email address.
The guy from Environmental Health also seemed concerned, and I want to compile as much evidence as possible for him!

Hi, I work near Chillingham road but have never been in the pet shop there and from the sounds of it I dont want to either, but just wanted to say its great that you have taken the steps you have in getting them investigated- places like that usually leave me in tears. So good on you :D

Well done

Well done for trying to do something about it.
I am not that close but keep trying to get something done about this shop.
Alot of pet shops keep their animals for sale in really inadequate conditions.

Thank you. Apparently he's started cleaning them out now somebody must have tipped him off :( so enivronmental health cant do anything. just hopes he keeps it up.

He's got to comply with his pet shop licence ALL the time, not just when he thinks someone is looking.:shock:

Perhaps Newcastle Council need to be reminded of his (and their) obligations under the terms of the licence that the council issues.

There are numerous animal welfare obligations set out in the licence. Accommodation, care, feeding, etc.

http://www.newcastle.gov.uk/core.nsf/a/licencepetshop

Then, if he does not comply:

"Any person found guilty of failing to comply with their licence conditions may be subject to a fine not exceeding £500 or to three months imprisonment or both."

Last edited:
Please, if anyone has any proof or is in a position to discreetly take pictures, please help :( As it stands I don't think they are going to act on this and I think they believe I am lying or exaggerating.

Back