• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Your thoughts please? Bun shivering/uncomfortable

carly s

Warren Scout
One of my six rabbits is unwell :(. She seemed fine when I got home from work last night and went bounding out in the garden. I watched while she was out there and there didn't appear to be any problems, however when she came back in she laid down on her side and seemed very tired and listless. I kept an eye on her and after a while realised that she definately wasn't right as she was shivering and appeared very uncomfortable. I gave her pineapple juice and confined her overnight and kept her warm. This morning she hasn't eaten anything but I have given her more juice and syringe fed her liquid food and water. I rang the vets who suggested I take her in which I did in my lunchbreak. The vet checked her over and said her belly felt very bloated. They are doing an xray to see if there is a fur ball or something. My query is though, if it was a fur ball and had been building up for a couple of days, wouldnt I have noticed a change in her behaviour/character beforehand? This happened so suddenly. I wondered if she ate something in the garden that has upset her?
Has anyone else had similiar experience?
Any responses would be greatly appreciated.
Shes my littlest bunny and I am v worried!

Hi sorry your buns poorly atm.
Masses in the stomach can develop with no warning atall. My tilly was absolutely fine one day and the next morning was very poorly, not eating, shivering, uncomfortable. I got her to the vets straight away and he felt a mass in her stomach. Devastatingly she died in my arms that night. I really dont wNt to worry you and am so sorry if i have. It sounds as though your vet is doing everything possible and that you caught it early. It was just too late for my girl and im certain there were other underlying factors that we never knew about. Just make sure you're confident that shes improved alot at the vets before you bring her home. Hope shes ok xxx

You could try some infacol if the vet thinks she's sounding gassy. It's actually mild enough to use every hour or so and I tend to give Honey (medium sized rabbit) about 2ml every hour. It helps to relieve trapped gas in babies and you should be able to get some in the supermarket. Hope the wee one improves soon.

Vets have just rung. Xray shows a gassy mass so they've given her antibiotics and stuff under the skin to rehydrate her. Apparantely shes hopping around there the naughty little madam! phew. Thank you for your replies xx

Phew! Glad theyve got to the bottom of it and she seems a little bit better.
Loads of vibes for a speedy recovery :D

Back