• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding 3 bunnies

lunarmoon92

Young Bun
Hi

I currently have 3 bunnies. Lula (F) and Buttons (M) and both neutered and spayed and living quite happily together. I recenlty rescued Shagger (M) from my uncle, who in my opinion was not looking after him at all.

Shagger is currently living in a hutch next to Lula and Buttons. Now the few times I have let Buttons and Shagger anywhere near each other Buttons has tried to eat Shagger. Sometimes they follow each other up and down the sides of the run keeping an eye on each other and there is a lot of spraying going on.

My question is would it be possible to bond all 3 of them without having Shagger neutered? He is technically still my uncles rabbit and he uses him for breeding (hence the name, and I don't agree with the breeding). I'm also not sure I think Shagger would would survive the anthestic. He is a very scared bunny and really hates going to the vets (he shakes - a lot)

Does anybody think it will be possible to bond all three of them? or is neutering and then bonding really my only option?

Thanks

might your uncle reclaim him? because if he does then you might cause the bunnies a lot of heartache if they have all bonded. I know some people manage to bond unneutered rabbits but it is hard!!!!

Unsure if my uncle will try to reclaim him. My dad has told him that we are keeping him, but he is welcome to bring Whitney (his breeding female) over and I'll look after her for a few days.

To be honest I'd had him about a month before my uncle asked if I was bringing him back, and I think he's too lazy to come and physically collect Shags.

I did think it would be difficult to bond them but I hadn't even thought about if Shagger had to leave.

well as long as Lula has been spayed a while so is no longer fertile it should be fine, Shagger just might get a little bit territorial. Two of mine are very friendly through the bars of their barrier but they have had fights when they are together. Yours could be different though :)

it does sound like he's not bothered

Sorry but I would never introduce an entire male to another bun/ pair. Too much testosterone can cause all sorts of problems and nasty fights can break out in a split second.

No, you can never introdoce an unneutered male rabbit to any other bun. I saw an unneutered pair once, and left in tears! The male bun was constantly humping the poor doe, and her owner was telling me that she bled from the non stop humping. She was underweight and really skittish.....not to mention always pregnant. They said that they were going to neuter them soon...but I doubt it. I ended up calling the RSPCA...but they were little help.

Unneutered males will fight any other bun that looks at them funny, will hump/spray/become aggressive. (Usually it's fuelled by living close to other buns...I know several unneutered male buns who are single house rabbits.)

They could technically be bonded into a three if he is neutered. He'd be far happier from it! :D

Back