• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding a Trio. U/D Big fight :(

Hart

Young Bun
Update: So i started with Taco and Missy, and Taco went for her. Missy fought back so we immediately split them up.
Tried again and the same thing happened. My heart sank, Missy was upset and Taco looked pleased with himself.

It doesn't look like this bonding is going to happen :( Taco is trying to fight the girls and I don't want any injuries.

It seems he doesn't want any other bunny company?

I have a week off work, so I think the time has come for me to finally attempt bonding my 2 girls with my little boy.
I'm so nervous!

All of them are neutered, girls have been for well over a year, little boy for half a year.

One of the girls, Coco (big grey lop), is very dominate and gets very moody. I'm quite worried about how she would react to him in particular.
The other, Missy, is very protective over Coco.

They have seen him before. They're snuffed through the barriers in the doorways, and they've even licked him on the head when I've held him near them. Which is a promising sign I hope!

I know neutral ground is vital, so I'm going to have them in the bathroom with their trays. Should I clean out their trays entirely first? Who do I put in the room first? Has anyone had a successful trio of 2 girls, one boy?

Last edited:
To be honest I wouldn't put any trays in with them yet as it gives them something to be territorial over.

Good luck with the bonding. :D

:wave: I'm sure the bonding experts will be along soon. Meanwhile, you definitely need totally neutral litter trays as well (so ownership is not an issue). Can you pen off some of the bathroom so they have a small space that you can make progressively bigger? Need to put them all in together.

My trios have been 2 boys with 1 dominant girl.

Good luck.

D'oh! I dont have any spare clean trays to use :( and I can't not have anything in there at all because the bathroom is carpeted.
Bathrooms not very big so I don't think blocking is entirely necessary. They could be let into the little hall attached later on if all goes well!

Last edited:
D'oh! I dont have any spare clean trays to use :( and I can't not have anything in there at all because the bathroom is carpeted.
Bathrooms not very big so I don't think blocking is entirely necessary. They could be let into the little hall attached later on if all goes well!

Time to get the vinegar out then :lol:

When you say went for he, do you mean he lunged at her with intent or just chasing? Are you trying him with the girls seperately? I'd be inclined to put all three in together in one go.

I had two girls and a boy.

I would put them altogether in a neutralised room, can you put down newspaper rather than have litter trays, at least at first? Scatter some hay and veg around so they have something to distract them and see what happens..

There is bound to be some chasing/fur pulling, the trick is knowing when to separate...I would watch and if they seem to start circling each other separate them, you might need another pair of hands with three to deal with!

If you are planning to put the litter trays in to the bathroom it is essential that they are throoughly soaked in vinegar first for at least 30 minutes. If you place anything that smells of any one of the rabbits where you are bonding them you will almost certainly end up with a fight.

when ever I bond any rabbits totally neutral territory is essential, I always bond in a smallish area (4 x 2 for a pair and 6 x 2 for a trio) and do not move them for at least 48 hours if a pair and 72 hours if a trio.

There is bound to be some chasing/fur pulling, the trick is knowing when to separate...I would watch and if they seem to start circling each other separate them, you might need another pair of hands with three to deal with!

Totally agree, if circling I pull them apart using a broom and then re release after a slow count to 10.

Don't use your hands, you will sustain nasty bites.

No. This was not chasing/fur pulling. This was full out fighting.
It happened in less than a minute.
If he attacks Missy and she fights back, keeping in mind she is the softest touch in the world, I am not going to risk putting Coco in because she would tear him apart if he were to attack her.

I said earlier the bathroom is small (well i said not very big but I meant small). None of them had been in before and there were no litter trays. So nothing that smelt of any of them at all.

They are apart back in their original houses. I don't want to try this again. As It's obvious to me, by their attitudes, that it's not going to happen.
Taco is very aggressive towards them.

Last edited:
They are apart back in their original houses. I don't want to try this again. As It's obvious to me, by their attitudes, that it's not going to happen.
Taco is very aggressive towards them.

I would not be totally disheartened, there are people on this forum who for a donation will bond rabbits for you, obviously not guaranteed but often with success.

Back