• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Twinkle can never go on the grass again

fluffiebunnie

Warren Veteran
Have made a decision today that Twinkle and Sparkle must remain in their run on the concrete all the time. I am so sad, but everytime Twinkle has any veg or fresh food (like grass) she gets runny poo.

She was out on the grass for an hour or so only yesterday, and today the litterbox is caked :(

She also seems to have watery eyes today (maybe infection?) so will be off to vets tomorrow with her if they are no better.

Poor Twinkle :(

Have you kept a diary and only fed her one small portion of veg at a time to see if you can isolate the cause. It might be the amount she is eating of say grass. Once you know exactly what is causing her problem, you can either feed a small amount or exclude. I have a bunny who cannot eat carrots

I would try her with just a couple of minutes first and build it from there - OR an easy way to get ger used to grass is to actually collect a small handful of grass and give it to her - increasing or decreasing the amount until she is used to it:D

Her eyes may be reacting to pollen though - I seem to have a pollen alergic bun!

Poor cupcake. :( Is it definately not her teeth that are the trouble? Ginger always does runny poos when he needs a dental, and his eye gets bad too.

She eats really really fast so I assume she ended up eating tons of grass yesterday as it was quite long too. I have also tried doing one veg at a time, and every time I give her a tiny bit she gets the poops...

I have just hosed down the scrubed and hosed the run and changed the litter tray and wiped her bottom over.

She has been clean for months on a hay and pellet diet (small amount of SS) and I feel bad that I put her on the grass yesterday and she is in a mess.

She had a dental once as we had ruled out everything else for the runny bottom, and it didnt make a difference.

Am seeing vet Tuesday for her VHD jab (or earlier if need be for her eyes) so will have another discussion with them then.

Maybe she just overdid it on the spring grass? Once you know she's okay again you could try a handeful and if that doesn't react maybe build it up by giving by hand before she goes out for just a short period?

Yes she is such a gannet.. think that is half the problem as she eats soooooo much in a short space of time... will hand pick tiny amounts in the future and make sure she doesnt eat all Sparkles too...

Clover gets ill with eating too much grass in one go, so I cover part of the floor of the run with carpet or lino, and leave just a small area for her and Dandelion to eat the grass, so they get to play in the run but without Clover overeating.:D Then when it's Blacberry and Buttercups turn I take the carpet out because they just eat a bit of grass and don't overdo it.

It's possible your poor bunny has an allergy with runny eyes?

I have a bun thats prone to a funny tummy but putting him out onto short grass helps because he can't gorge himself on the taller stuff. Also choose times of day when the grass is bone dry i.e not dewy in the morning. That might help. Might just need a more gradual introduction to grass/ veg so as his tummy can get used to it

Back