• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

pulling out her fur

Please can someone tell me why my rabbit is pulling out her fur she has no mites or fleas the skin does not look angry nor is it sore so why is she doing it :(

If she has not come into contact with other rabbits then this probably a bit of spring fever - rabbits that have not been spayed yet get the urge and have phantam pregnancies. Her hormones will settle when she has her spay.

Once she is spayed her hormones will settle. Unspayed rabbits will build furry nests as if they are going to have a litter and then destroy the litter after. If you are sure that she could not be having a litter it must be spring fever/phantom pregnancy so it is time for the spaying.

I was told you had to let a rabbit have their first litter before having them spayed is that true? im still learning about rabbits so im not 100% sure

I was told you had to let a rabbit have their first litter before having them spayed is that true? im still learning about rabbits so im not 100% sure

No not at all. If she is fit and well and over 6 months old she can be spayed now and it will undoubtably enable her to live a longer happier and healthier life without hormone fluctuations and the very high risk of uterine cancer :)

To breed from her, which is what you would be doing if you "let her have a first litter" you will be bringing maybe 6 or so rabbits in to a world where many thousands of unwanted rabbits are already in rescue awaiting homes :cry:

I felt guilty as i wasnt going to let her have a first litter as shes to go in next week to be spayed,but since you put it that way i dont feel bad at all for i wouldnt want that to happen id probs keep em anyways :D but nah i have 2 and thats enough i think :)

Back