• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

re sick rabbit

dbeaney

New Kit
i have a five yr old dwarf lop.a few weeks ago i noticed he had lost a mass of weight and was litually skin and bone.i took him to the vets ,she could not see any apparent reason for this as he was active,still eating and drinking.(he shares a cage with his sister who is same age and a fat little thing)the vet gave him antibiotics incase there was an underlying infection.he has put on weight although you can still feel his back bone.over the last few days he has become very wet down the front of him and seems to be pulling at his fur on his front legs.he is still eating and hoping around but hunches up in his cage and just does not look himself.please can anyone help.

this is posted in the wrong place so not many people will see it. if you re-post in the health section a few more people might see it. :)
anyway i saw it and hello :wave:
could you not try another vets? is the vet you saw properly trained in treating rabbits? i am asking cause it sounds like he needs to see a vet again. i am no expert at rabbit health but there are loads of people on here that know lots. hopefully someone will see this who knows more soon.

You need to take him back to a Vet.
It sounds as though he might have a Dental problem if the wetness down his front is from excessive salivation.

The fur pulling may be pain related.

I would take him back to a Vet tomorrow morning.

You need to take him back to a Vet.
It sounds as though he might have a Dental problem if the wetness down his front is from excessive salivation.

The fur pulling may be pain related.

I would take him back to a Vet tomorrow morning.

hi thank you for the posts i have taken pepper back to the vets today.we have seen the cheif vet she thinks it may be his teeth. the front of peper is so wet she thinks it maybe coming from the back teeth,they are going to knock him out to have a look lets just hope. debbie

hi thank you for the posts i have taken pepper back to the vets today.we have seen the cheif vet she thinks it may be his teeth. the front of peper is so wet she thinks it maybe coming from the back teeth,they are going to knock him out to have a look lets just hope. debbie

thats brilliant.......hope it all goes well and the little mite will feel alot better.:)

I had similar to this with bailey a month ago, apart from the wetness down the front, she was tearing her fur out aswell, vet said it was because she was in so much pain :( . they also knocked bailey out and found her back molars had spurred off and were stoping her eating, she had them filed down and is fine and happy again now, it is an ongoing thing with the molars though,
Hope your bunns ok x

Back