• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dried fruits?

lorri

Warren Scout
Hi guys just a question on dried fruits. We all know we can give fresh fruit to our bunnies but can you give dried fruit to our bunnies which can be bought in pet shops and other stockest.

Thanks all

Yes, but only small bits as an occasonal treat as even plain dried fruit has a lot of natural sugar in it. Read the packet info too, as lots of dried fruit (like banana chips) have added sugar as it preseves it for longer. Lots of people feed rasins as an occasonal treat.

Personally, I avoid giving my buns dried fruit because of the concentration of the sugars in the drying process. There is also a lot of sulphur dioxide used as preservative which can bring on allergic reaction.

Small pieces of fresh fruit are well received by my buns.:D

I might consider sun-dried, preservative-less fruits as a once in a blue moon treat, but I wouldn't buy it specifically for the buns.

I don't give my rabbits any fruit at all. The sugar in fruit (according to me sister, who's a vet) upsets the balance of bacteria in the gut, which can cause serious problems.

Mine get dried fruit once a week or so! I get those bags of parrot mix from P@H and my hammies love the contents too.

I buy organic sultanas (for me :D) and if the rabbits are lucky/good they get two each as a treat. I'm stingy with treats though, they can go for days without any :lol:

Back