• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do they really need a hutch?

isla

Mama Doe
I can't find any hutches that I like or that I think are good enough, a friend was going to build one for me but he is now going on holiday for a few months. I was thinking of building a big run and just putting a few run shelters in there, with litter trays in.

Or maybe getting a small, cheap hutch just for the litter trays and water bottles.

If they have a totally secure run that they have access to 24/7 then the hutch isn't so important, just get a standard hutch of the normal size 6ft x 2ft x 2ft and join it onto the run and that should be fine :)

I think they still need a cosy covered area like a hutch aswell preferably slightly off the ground for warmth and keeping it dry.

I think they still need a cosy covered area like a hutch aswell preferably slightly off the ground for warmth and keeping it dry.

Yes I dont think shelters would be warm/dry enough for weather like we've had this winter.

Also, should you have predators roaming your garden, the rabbits might like something substantial to hide in. (And that might make the predator think they've really gone away, as opposed to a smallish shelter where the predator can see quivering bun and lurk hoping that it pops out again.) Even if the run is predator proof, being stalked would be traumatic enough!

My outdoor moveable run is 8ft x 6ft x 2ft high & I sometimes leave the pair/single in it while at work - there's no hutch attached, so I have 3.5ft x 18in hutch in it lined with newspaper/carpet & stuffed with hay. The run also is part covered & if weather isn't great I have some tarpaulin I can part cover it with & a pet carrier in case Calel is on one & Treacle doesn't want to be with him.:roll:. It's worked quite well, so you could maybe do something similar, although if it was permanent you would probably need a bigger hutch:D

Back