• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I need help please

I really need some help, I'm getting pushed from pillar to post and I really don't know what to do.

I have a gorgeous bunny but he's sick and I'm not able to afford the care that he needs. He has terrible mites that I just can't get rid of. He's a very big bunny and because of his size I can't hold him for long enough to administer his medication. He's quite tame but I'm just not strong enough :( I'd like to re-home him with someone who is able to care for him but who would take a rabbit that is sick? I've called a few local rescue centres and they have all told me that they are full and that they can't help other than give me another number to call.

My poor rabbit. I really don't know what to do! I feel awful for him suffering, I really can't cope.

Hello and welcome.

I am sorry you are having problems with your rabbit.

It may help if you tell us how long your rabbit has had mites, what treatment he has had, what treatment you are trying to administer and what area you are in.

Can you not get anyone to help hold bun while you give him the meds, im assuming its spot on that you have?

How much have you given him / how long has he been on meds?

So sorry, more info would help!
He is 3 and has had mites for about 2 years. He has a piggy friend who is not infected. I started with spot on but that had no effect on him so have since been using a spray - It's Johnson's insecticidal spray. This has had limited success but I have 2 problems...1. the rabbit and piggy live in a shed that we cut down and modified to make a mega super hutch. It is so big that I struggle to catch him as he just runs away to a part that I can't reach. 2. If I can catch him he is too strong and he fights and fights and kicks until he escapes. Problem with the spray is that you need to brush the fur backwards with a rubber glove whilst spraying. Both things he hates and he fights more to escape. I'm too small to battle with him and I have nobody to help me (apart from my two children but they are 4 and 9 months) Daddy works away so is not here enough to assist.

I attempt to treat him every other day or so but more often than not the spray goes in the air rather than on him. I've been treating him for 2 years but can't afford any more vets fees :(

We are in Kent.

Oh dear you are having problems aren't you and it's not easy when you have children too.

Are you sure it is mites he has?

I don't actually have experience of mites, although I have heard they can be problematic to cure, I would have thought the GP would get them too :? Usually they get mites from the hay/straw - have you looked at your source and thought about reinfection? I'm sure I have read on here about rabbits having injections to cure their mites.

What are his "mite" symptoms - could you post a picture?

I'm sure someone experienced with mite treatment will be along soon.

some animals will get mites recurrinig constantly. I had a guinea that constantly got them and a rat that would. Even though their companions never had a problem.

I agree with the previous post. Are you SURE it is mites? could it be lice or maybe a skin condition?

Have you tried stting the bun on your knee? I find that my buns will kick and squirm while holding them but when all 4 feet are on your knee they calm down considerably. :)

Some spot on's don't work and some do so it may be worth chatting to your vet? Has he had an injecton? My rattie was on injections and it didnt cost too much, that ws the only thing i found that worked :)

One of my rescue buns had mites. I treated her with Xeno 450 you can buy it online or a vet can prescribe it. (much cheaper to buy yourself) Its important that you give the right dose, for that you will need to know the weight of your bun.

Mites are also known as walking dandruff, does the bun have dandruff?

Is your bun indoors or outdoors? If indoors then you will need to steam clean your carpet, make sure the shampoo/cleaner is a pet one that will kill mites etc. The hutch/cage will also need to be cleaned thorougly & if the cage is near a papered wall the wall will need to be cleaned (mites can live in wallpaper) Sometime the spot on doesnt work & if your bun is badly infected then an injection may be necessary
However you say the guinea pig lives with the rabbit?! If the guinea isnt infected then I dont believe you have a mite problem, maybe bun is allergic to something.

So sorry, more info would help!
He is 3 and has had mites for about 2 years.this has proobebly been off and on as if he had had this constantly then would have likely got no fur left and would have scabs and awful bacterial infections He has a piggy friend who is not infected.prehaps he doesnt have mites as often it is easily transfeerred bunny to piggie the other option is that the piggie stresses him out (or other factor) which is causing it to reoccour I started with spot on but that had no effect on him so have since been using a spray - It's Johnson's insecticidal spray.the insectiscidal spray is no use for treating mites really as you say it often ends up in the air i think the spray is meant more for the enclosure rather than the pet else you cant be sure not to get it in thier eyes etc This has had limited success but I have 2 problems...1. the rabbit and piggy live in a shed that we cut down and modified to make a mega super hutch. It is so big that I struggle to catch him as he just runs away to a part that I can't reach.how about bringing him indoors and keeping him in a large dog crate temperarily until the mites (or other problem he has as im not convinced it is mites dissapears?) 2. If I can catch him he is too strong and he fights and fights and kicks until he escapes.prehaps then someone local could come over to help you? i am a bit far but im sure others in your area would be willing Problem with the spray is that you need to brush the fur backwards with a rubber glove whilst spraying.this sounds quite traumatic and something a bunyn woudl likely struggle more with Both things he hates and he fights more to escape. I'm too small to battle with him and I have nobody to help me (apart from my two children but they are 4 and 9 months) Daddy works away so is not here enough to assist.

I attempt to treat him every other day or so but more often than not the spray goes in the air rather than on him. I've been treating him for 2 years but can't afford any more vets fees :(every other day is too often it coudl be that he has a skin irritation from all the treatments,

We are in Kent.
the best thing to do(and i say this not unkindly) is to find a local rabbit savvy vet(as not very many are) and have ivermetican injections IF he has mites this will kill them it will stop the fights and he will only likely need 1-2 injections to completly eradicate them.
hi i have treid to help in bold with suggestions
other info i thougth to type:
you say at the start he is a large bunyn do you know what breed? if he is a large bunny in fact to be fair most bunnys should not be kept with g.pigs as they can injur each other, or spread disease to each other as well as not having the same dietry needs sorry to say, a bunny freind if possible would be much better, also can you describe his "mites" symptoms to us? does eh have bald patches? flakey skin? scabs etc is it lcoated to certain areas and if yes where exactly? also does he have any other underlying helath issues usually mites rear up when a bunny is not 100% could he have teeth problems etc? also where do you get your hay from? as the bedding is likely the cause of reinfection it is best to completly clear out the accomodation spray with insectisidal pet spray and then disinfect it to kill any nastys leaving it to air out(without the animals in theri of course) and then re putting in new bedding from a a different/new source,
are there any open wounds on him? if yes definatly dont use a spray.
regarding the dandruff symptoms if he has them is this when he is moulting as sometimes overwieght rabbits or elderly buns get actual dandruff that isnt mite related due to not being able to clean themselves as well (of course at 3years he is still young bun!!)
it could also be a dust or other allergy how about changing to a dust free type bedding and having hay in a rack? also be aware woodchips and sawdust often cause respiritory roblems and health issues in buns so are best avoided due to risk of allergies etc i hope that things improve you really do need to take him to a vet for proper diagnosis and treatment it isnt fair to keep him infected if he is i do aprpichiate you are trying your hardest with him of course, another issue could be the g.pig attacking him prehaps?
how about raising some funds for vet treatmetn by selling on ebay/free ads / gumtree etc, if you really feel you need to give him up then well done on acting in his best interests but i hope you find a way to keep him, there are various members in kent or prehaps you could ring a local rescue and ask them to help you catch him and hold him for treatement or take him to them and ask if they can help with treatement rabbit rehome has a list of lcoal rescues, im sorry no one has been able to help you so far i wish i was closer.. subsequently should any rescues down this was or gloucester way be able to take him on and help him i will help with transport if i can. x

have you saw a vet?
Sounds daft but do you use sawdusr shavings? My rat had a terrible itch with this and had to have some injections every so often (years ago dont ask why we didnt just change bedding?) try changing bedding.
A vet would take smaple under telescope thingy and confirm it is mites if you havent done this already.
It could also be terrible bad habit if he has been itching for so long it may just be an automatic thing he does now which you may have to break the habit of? kinda like me if i start scratching my head I dont realise im doing it and make my head bleed and still do it untill I stop myself or maybes I have mites:lol:
Could it be certain food he eats that hes allergic to causing itching same as humans have reactions. long shot but I would see vet if not already try changing bedding and watch if he scratches more after certain foods.
Did the itching start after the hutch was made could be worth scrubbing out new bedding area as your treating bun but dont say if your treating bedding etc. If not then they are only going to go back to him from the hutch.
If he has mites the guinea pig should aswell and you should itch also i would imagine. (sorry if you have done all this just worth a try)

Hi I agree with the above, it sounds like it has all got a bit too much with the children you have aswell, I can see why you are thinking you need to rehome him. If you are definate that you have to do that I would contact SOAD on here to ask for him to be re-homed safely and it is worth homechecking any adoptees, the mites thing really shouldn't have gone on this long.

I would take him to the vets and get that sorted, the nurses will easily sort it for you, if you are really strapped for cash you need to take him to the nearest PDSA hospital or RSPCA sooner rather than later - this has gone on too long already. Don't blame yourself - just do the right thing now.

Is he housed with the guinea, it's just you have mentioned that he is large and he could actually kill the piggie with a kick even accidently. The new advice is not to mix the species for safety of the piggie. I do think you will need to separate them but, treat both for mites. There are guinea rescues on here aswell, they might be able to post the rehome advert for you on the piggie forum aswell.

I think you have got into a stressful situation and it's taken over you because he doesn't like the treatment, at least your doing the right thing now. Please don't panick or rush to get rid of him, you took on the responsibility of that rabbit and piggie and you owe it to them to stay calm and find them a nice home to go to, it's not their fault that your circumstances have changed and this problem has escalated. You've already had him for 3 years so I am guessing you do care, I am sorry it's come to this but, ultimately it might be better for him and the piggie long-term. Keep us updated won't you xx

If you are on any benefits and you have a local RSPCA or PDSA animal hospital near you then you could always take your bun to one of these or trying phoning your local RSPCA branch who will sometiomes help you out with the vets bill if you are on benefits..

Back