• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to bring a shy bunny out of it's shell?

vitryolic

New Kit
I've recently adopted a new bunny from a rescue and I'm not sure what to make of her behaviour. When I got her she was terrified and had obviously not been handled much or well by humans- she'd stomp if I came in the room, sit in the furthest corner or her pen, wouldn't run around just hide in a box.

Since then I've moved her into my room and spent as much time with her as I can. She seems to have improved quite a lot, still timid but a lot more active and inquisitive. She's eaten/drunk out of my hand, and sniffed/crawled over me of her own accord.

The only thing I'm worried about is touching her, when I stroke her she sits down and presses her body and head against the ground (not a bunny flop). She used to do this with bulging eyes and with her ears flat against her back, which I understood to mean she was scared or being submissive. Now her eyes are wide but not bulging, and her ears are forward- does this mean she enjoys being touched or is she still scared?

I've read a lot of conflicting things, some saying avoid handling your bunny as they may not like it until they get used to you, others saying you should handle your bunny so that they get used to you. What is the best way to bring a nervous bunny out of it's shell?

Try hand feeding her her pelletts and other treats and just sitting quietly with her.

Is she spayed? that can help and a confident partner will help bring her out of her shell. Depending on how she is putting her head down she may just want nose rubs Dutchie and Fudge both do this and it just means they are offering themselves for kisses :love:

:wave: Have a read of this the problem is opposite almost but, the post by Hoppit is excellent advice for bonding with your bunny, it will take time and patience but, it's soooo worth it, good luck - any piccies are always welcome :D

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=218395

You just made me blush again! :lol:

Vitryolic, it sounds as though you've made great progress already. A bun who's unused to kind human attention will naturally be nervous at first, but take your time and you'll get there. :D

Last edited:
Hiya,
I have a bun, Mimi, who exactly the same as yours I adopted from a shelter about 6 weeks ago. She is also very anxious of humans, so Im looking forwards to reading peoples comments on this thread.
I think if she's putting her head down but her ears arent back and shes not making a run for it, in my opinion she's braving a nose rub this is exactly what my Timmy does when hes begging for a stroke! Every bun is individual so try it and see if she likes it. At the mo I dont try to stroke or touch Mimi but now shes approaching me regularly and with confidence, I occasionally try a nose rub on her and she just moves away :( She's just not ready for that yet, but I have high hopes she will be.
It will take ALOT of time and patience to win our nervous buns over, but we'll get there in the end!
Good luck!

Back