• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

need advise on after spay.....

angieb

Mama Doe
my 2 does are booked in tomorrow for a spaying and i am just trying to prepare........when they come home i have a dog crate for one and a indoor cage for the other. the dog crate is quite large but the indoor cage is a little small i think???? Its one of the medium ones.. i used to use it for my guinue pigs base cause they had free range in a shed......

The vets told me that if all is well after 24hrs then they should be able to go back outside so will this setup be ok for 24hrs? :?

i think for 24 hrs after an op it should be fine, id lay them on towel and try not to whack up the heating to much due to change in temp for when you put them back outside, healthy treats to encourage them to eat, just ask if they get a shot of painkiller before they come home, :D

thankyou....i am going to get some parsley later cause they love parsley....i thought i'd put them on cardbord with a towel on top?
They will be in the porchway so should be cool but not too cold,
should i turn the radiator completely off? :?

dont have to be completly off its ok just to take the chill off, though is it on a timer alot of people dont have their heating on at night, which of course is the coldest part,

failing that i would suggest putting a towel or sheet, blanket over part or half of the cage so they feel sheltered and safe

i use to put a towel one one side of the cage and hay on the other, with treats in to encourage hay eat too, some prefere to just use a litter tray or hay basket, but thats up to you :D

I'd ask for a bottle of metacam to take home! They may not need it but often they do it's a big op for a little bun and Ive found that it really helps with their recovery! They should have a shot which lasts 24hrs! You will be able to tell if they need more the next day! It's never a bad thing to have some spare anyway and it lasts for about 6 months after opening!

when i had my little girl spayed i had an indoor cage with a litter tray and towels in. I used paper based litter for the tray and towels for her to sit on and just put hay in her rack as it might have irritated her stitches. Just make sure she doesnt try and jump about too much or pull at her stiches. keep an eye on what she eats, drinks, poos and wees. Good luck!!

thanks again......our heating is all on thermostats on the radiators so i'll turn it down,, we have the heat on all day and all nght cause its all controlled through the radiators. thanks for all the advise,,

ive been ok up until getting it all ready for them, i feel so mean taking them but its good i know! I cant wait to bond them and see them together,, just the worst bit to get out of the way first!

I swear that if i get another bunny it will be from a rescue and already spayed!!!! :lol:

,, just the worst bit to get out of the way first!

:

spaying is not the worse bit, though yes the wait to ring the vets to see if they are ok is very nerve wracking

it's the bonding thats the worst :lol::lol:

spaying is not the worse bit, though yes the wait to ring the vets to see if they are ok is very nerve wracking

it's the bonding thats the worst :lol::lol:

I know.....im also dreading that i will be a nervous wreck......I read on here that you will definately know if they are fighting and to split them.... chasing and humping is ok but biting and fighting isnt........will i know when to split them? :?

chasing fighting mounting biting nipping fur pulling is fine

rabbit throwing rabbit across cage, lunge fighting, blood, is a bad sign

some buns get on great straight away, some take ages and fight alot, there are lot of do's and don't i feel with bonding, like no touching, no moving them, keeping area small

i used to do bonding , still do but no one lives near me :(

there is a differance between dominance fighting and all hell for leather, i was part of the support team who helped a fellow member get through her weekend of bonding a group, im trying to find the link, as i put loads of info on there, you get lots of support here :D

i wouldnt try it for a good few weeks yet, till wounds have healed and hormones calmed

chasing fighting mounting biting nipping fur pulling is fine

rabbit throwing rabbit across cage, lunge fighting, blood, is a bad sign

some buns get on great straight away, some take ages and fight alot, there are lot of do's and don't i feel with bonding, like no touching, no moving them, keeping area small

i used to do bonding , still do but no one lives near me :(

there is a differance between dominance fighting and all hell for leather, i was part of the support team who helped a fellow member get through her weekend of bonding a group, im trying to find the link, as i put loads of info on there, you get lots of support here :D

i wouldnt try it for a good few weeks yet, till wounds have healed and hormones calmed

i know people on here have been very good before.......i am sure i'll need it. :lol:
i am not starting it yet as i need to get over the spaying thing first...this has been stressfull enough. :lol:

Back