• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice for Mindy, please

Rio

New Kit
Just wondering if anyone has any advice or information.

Yesterday, I noticed that Mindy was very wet on her bottom. Not dirty like she use to be but when I did dry her with a tissue, it was a slight brown colour. She is still pooping normally and they are normal.

She did seem to be straining a little to wee.

Today I've checked her over and discovered a very small spot/abscess on her opening. She let me touch it and she didn't flinch so I don't think it's hurting her. I've cut away the fur and put a little vaseline on as she looked a little sore.

She's still eating and drinking and being her normal self although she does seem to spend more time lying down in her cage. But then Mindy has never been a very active rabbit. When she is in the living room, she's her normal self.

Now I know an abscess near their opening, can be a sign of cancer and Mindy is not spayed as the vets I have been to, have not be comfortable putting her under as she does have a very slight heart murmur.

So does anyone have any advice ?

I would be straight down the vets but my dad has been made redundant, meaning the next time I will get money, will be my birthday which is in 9 days . I really don't want to leave it that long. :cry:

I am affraid Mindy must see a vet sooner than in 9 days time.
I would contact your Vet tomorrow and explain the situation, including the financial one. Your Vet may agree to a small payment 'up front' and then you pay the balance when you get the money in 9 days.

Without seeing the sore area on Mindy I cant say what it may be. But as I say, she cannot wait for 9 days before seeing a Vet. Imagin how you may feel with a sore 'down below', weeing must be extremely painful.................... :cry:

I know :(

I feel incredibly bad because I always believe that you shouldn't have a pet unless you can pay for vet bills. It's just come at a really bad time, I know that's not her fault.

This spot/abscess is about 0.6cms. It's not hard or crusty and I can move it slightly. It looks a little grey on the top but also yellow.

I forgot to say that she really stinks. Although that's not new as she has had a foul smell for a few months but the vets don't know what that could be.

She is still weeing but does look like she is straining a little.

I've phoned the vets but the answer machine doesn't seem to be working. I know they open at 8am tomorrow so that's the earliest I can do anything.
I really am mad at myself for not doing more. :evil:

Dont be mad at yourself, the important thing is that you get her to the vet.
Remember the earlier you catch these things the greater the chance for recovery.

I got Mindy booked in for an emergency appointment this morning and she does have an infection.
She was given an antibiotic shot and I've been given Baytril and Metacam to give to her.

I sold one of my bass guitars to fund it. I'm not bothered about that as I care for Mindy more.

The only thing that worries me is that she hasn't had any droppings for 12 hours. Hopefully she might feel a little better now as she was straining before.

The vet said he would have kept her in but because she is her normal self and still eating and drinking, he said it would be better if she was at home.

If she still has no droppings by tomorrow morning, she is going back. She is booked in again for Wednesday.

I showed him the abscess but said it was probably due to urine scold. She was also very swollen but not around it, which was also a bit weird.

The smell ? probably from the infection.

Thank you so so so much for all your advice. I really do appreciate it and I'm sure Mindy does too. She even worried my mum !
Hopefully I'll get some sleep now. Been up for 26 hours :roll:

Back