• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Introducing veggies?

pigsforlife

Mama Doe
:wave:

Charlee is 11 weeks old today, so I was thinking it should be alright to start slowly introducing some vegetables. But I need some help with a few questions.

1) What kinds of vegetables?
2) In what quantities should they get veggies?
3) Veggies morning and night?
4) What can they not get?
5) Introduce one veggie at a time -- is this right? And if so, are there any particular veggies to start off with?

Hi, I am not an expert but can help a bit I think.

My buns came to me at about 11 weeks and were already used to veg - if yours has never eaten veg I think I might leave it a little longer but I don't know others might say something different.

If you do a search on here you should be able to find a link to a "safe for bunnies" veg list.

When you feed veg is entirely up to you - morning or night/morning and night - but to start with keep it to once a day. Perhaps in the morning then you have more daylight hours to watch for any upset tums.

Definatley introduce one veg at a time, a tiny piece and providing you don't see any reaction (loose stools, gassy tummy) keep to that one veg for 3/4 days maybe even a week before introducing another in the same way.

As for what they can't have, just keep to the recommended list.

I got her when she was 8wks old and at her old place she was having carrot & bok choy but never seemed to touch it much. So when she came here I offered it to her a little bit but when I found out that they didn't need them until about 12wks I thought it didn't matter that much.

Will do a search! Thanks!

:wave:

Charlee is 11 weeks old today, so I was thinking it should be alright to start slowly introducing some vegetables. But I need some help with a few questions.

1) What kinds of vegetables?
2) In what quantities should they get veggies?
3) Veggies morning and night?
4) What can they not get?
5) Introduce one veggie at a time -- is this right? And if so, are there any particular veggies to start off with?

Ive just started to give Scamp veg, hes around 14/15 weeks old :) I started with spring greens, and gave only a tiny piece daily. I then made the piece bigger gradually over a week or so :) The 2nd veg i introduced was celery, and he has 4/5 2cm pieces daily now along with a huge spring green leaf :)

If i were you id start off with something light :? So cauli leaves, spring greens, savoy cabbage. Definately wait a while until you try fruits. If you notice any change in his poos stop the veg straight away :) A baby bunny like Charlie shouldnt be getting huge amounts of veg daily, her diet should be 80% hay followed by his pellets and veg.

Heres a list of safe fruit/veg :)

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/safefoods.htm

xxx

Back