• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

neutering question

bambi2906

Warren Scout
hi, :wave: i know this is going to sound so stupid however i just need reassuring. i got bluebell neutered on friday and he was a bit drowsy yesterday however today is jumping around fine his poos are smaller and theres only a bit of wee however when i checked the wound this morning it is all swollen and bruised and im guessing this is just normal after the operation. is that right??? ive never had a male rabbit before only female and they were already done. so im slightly clueless on neutering. thanks in advance for your replies and sorry again for the stupid question.

There may be some swelling/bruising which should subside over 2-3 days. But the scrotum should not feel hard or hot. Also, the surgical wound should not be weepy.Bun should also be eating pooing and weeing OK by now.
Without actually seeing him its impossible to say if the swelling is 'normal' or not. If you are concerned then give the Vet a call for advice.

bisc and matt didn't have swelling and went back to normal fairly quickly. poops were normal the same night. although bisc pulled his stitches out aswell that night. :roll:

i would ring the vet for advice. :)

hi, thanks for your quick replies. im in to see the vet again tomorrow for a check up. however if i posted a picture of them would that help its just im so worried (i worry alot) and dont want to have to speak to an emergency vet unless i have to as i dont want to waste there time

hi, thanks for your quick replies. im in to see the vet again tomorrow for a check up. however if i posted a picture of them would that help its just im so worried (i worry alot) and dont want to have to speak to an emergency vet unless i have to as i dont want to waste there time

i can relate to the worrying alot! yes, post pics if it will make you feel better. :)

lol well at least im not the only one to worry about every little thing. heres the picture it does look bad but theres no weeping or blood its just that there so swollen.
bambi2906

i might just be being thick... but aren't they the testicles? i thought they were removed???? :?

i don't remember bisc and matts looking like that :?

was it a proper rabbit vet that did the op?

eta: i have been looking on the net for more info but can't seem to find any. :?

Last edited:
are the sacks hard? they look really swollen. i think some bruising is normal but to me the swelling looks hard. pictures can be deceiving sometimes though.

hope someone else will be along soon who knows :)

It looks as though he has quite significant bruising and swelling.
Personally I would want him to be checked by a Vet again to make sure that there is no infection present (cant be sure if there is or isn't from a photo) and also for him to have a non steroidal anti-inflammatory (Metacam) for 2-3 days.

:wave:
when i had steve done his um sacks swelled up quiet a bit, like that before the starded to srivvel (sp?) up. but he wasnt bruised and they didnt go hard just swelled....they look quiet paonful on the picture,when is his follow up appointment? is he still eating/pooing ok.

i know it sounds silly but if you are worried go to the vets they wont think you are wasting their time....your paying them for the service.

they dont feel hard and there not really hot they just swelled up over night hes back in the vets tomorrow for a check up. hes running around and playing fine his poos are slightly smaller but that about it he is eating fine.

they dont feel hard and there not really hot they just swelled up over night hes back in the vets tomorrow for a check up. hes running around and playing fine his poos are slightly smaller but that about it he is eating fine.

Its up to you but you asked for advice and we have suggested we think a Vet should be consulted today

hi yea i no i asked your advice i was just replying to hannah c who asked when he is next in to see the vet and how his poos are i wasnt saying oh well hes in tomorrow so ill just wait. maybe i should have quoted it so you knew what i meant sorry

Back