• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

syphilis

Their are differences in opions on this some vets maintain there cured and can be used for breeding and others that say its not cured. It would be best to air on the side of caution

If she's aggressive and you can't breed from her anyway then spaying would probably solve the behaviour issue so she could be homed as a pet.

I know some rabbits that have had syphilis go on to have future bouts and it's unlikely they've been reinfected as they aren't bred. It's seems to vary though. I'm not sure if there is a test for it or not.

I agree with Tamsin - if she can't be bred from and is too aggressive to be a pet at the moment, spaying sounds as if it's the best option as that would prevent her from being bred from and would calm those hormonal territorial urges so she'd be a nicer pet.

I think the problem is that it can lie dormant (a bit like cold sores) so it may or may not recur and there's no way of you knowing whether it's still lurking there or not...and with a 12 week incubation before a flare-up it's a bit tricky to identify whether a bun is passing it around or not.

Rabbit syphilis is caused by the bacterium treponema cuniculi whereas the human STD is treponema pallidum. Culturing is probably the only means to identify with surety. The standard treatment is likely to be by S/C injection, definitely not oral, of penicillin G procaine, which I think is better known as Depocillin.

I found some data in a Japanese abstract that favourably tests another drug (chloramphenicol) for use with companion rabbits. Here is that link:

http://sciencelinks.jp/j-east/article/200424/000020042404A0807759.php

Another link to a Q&A by Dana Krempels:

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Rabbits-703/2009/5/Rabbit-Syphilis-forever.htm

The jury still seems to be out on recurrence, so withdrawal from breeding would seem to be mandatory to reduce the risk of further spread.

We took in 6 rabbits with syphillis that had been kept in dreadful conditions and used for breeding
1 sadly had to be put to sleep as was so ill:cry:, 2 cleared up with Depocillin injections but 3 would not completely clear.
Although they are fine in themselves they still have very slight signs of it on the inside skin of their genital area
We had a biopsy taken to establish it was syphillis after it hadn't cleared
The biopsy came back as positive..tried a different anti biotic, but still signs

So I'd say..do not risk breeding from her, check all your other rabbits and get the poorly one neutered

Bare in mind that Syphilis can be spread even by very little contact between buns, touching noses through bars for example, so I would check all your buns. I think they can be carriers and not have symptoms so it could have come from anybun

It recurs!

I just signed in to open a thread of my own regarding my bun and found this thread in the process! :)

I had my conti treated for syphillis before christmas, along with his companion bunny - even though she had no symptoms herself. Thistle, the conti, had scabs on his 'man area' and a sticky snotty nose. It cleared up completely after three penicillin injections but yesterday I noticed his nose has started running again.

I'd like to think it might just be a cold due to the snow and cold temps we've been having... but I'm pretty sure I'm going to be disapointed. :(

Back