• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

help please with my bunny x

loz3232

Warren Scout
Hi im lauren and i have a bunny called Ralph,
hes a year old and hes an albino lop. He lives outside in the warm weather and through conditions like now he lives indoors and i get him out twice a day and play with him and put him down in my bedroom to run around. When we brought him in fropm outside, which was about 2 months ago we have been suffering with problems with Ralph's bum. It seems to get really jammed up with poo and then it gets stuck to his newspaper and straw and his tail. I clean his bum once a day on a night time. I have stopped giving him veg and fruit with lots of juice e.g cucumber, lettuce. Because it woul give him runny poo anyway. I really dont know whats causing it and what to do, could i have some help please? xx thanks x

we give him 4 or 5 big handfuls to make a nest with but sometimes he only eats a bit of it he never eats all of it x

That might be your problem bunnies need an unlimited amount of hay it makes up like 90% of their diet, what kind of hay is it? If it's quite dusty he may not want to eat it.

What dry food does he have and how much does he get :) xXx

proper rabbit mixed dry cereal from the pet shop along the road and its not a make its just in a small bag
xx
and i fill it up on a morning and normally on a night if he has ate it all :)
xxx

proper rabbit mixed dry cereal from the pet shop along the road and its not a make its just in a small bag
xx
xxx

Also pellets are normally a better idea for bunnies as with these mixed foods they tend to pick out the parts that they don't like and don't get all the nutrients. Science Selective is a very good food mine love it!

That might be your problem bunnies need an unlimited amount of hay it makes up like 90% of their diet, what kind of hay is it? If it's quite dusty he may not want to eat it.

its not dusty and its meadow hay and its dust extract x

xx
xxx

This is where you are going wrong :( His diet needs to be at least 80% hay... i would cut his food down slowly (over a week or so) so he gets just a handful of a morning and a handful at night. This is more than enough dry food, realistically he only needs an egg cup full a day :) Do it gradually though so he doesnt notice you taking all his food away :lol:

Rabbits cant eat lettuce, it gives them the runs so id avoid that. I would cut the veg out totally until his tummy is better. Lots and lots of nice hay is what he needs :) xXx

This is where you are going wrong :( His diet needs to be at least 80% hay... i would cut his food down slowly (over a week or so) so he gets just a handful of a morning and a handful at night. This is more than enough dry food, realistically he only needs an egg cup full a day :) Do it gradually though so he doesnt notice you taking all his food away :lol:

Rabbits cant eat lettuce, it gives them the runs so id avoid that. I would cut the veg out totally until his tummy is better. Lots and lots of nice hay is what he needs :) xXx

oops:oops: my fault sorry ralph :( i will start from today so i should only give him a egg cup of cereal a day? xx

It may be the pellets, mix isn't just bad because a lot of bunnies selective feed, but I tend to find they have a lot less fibre in than the more expensive pellets, and if your bun isn't eating much hay he's hardly getting and fibre at all.

oops:oops: my fault sorry ralph :( i will start from today so i should only give him a egg cup of cereal a day? xx

Yes he only needs around an egg cup full :) I normal give my bunnies a small handful a day, then they get green veg of an evening. If Ralph has been having 1/2 full bowls, i would reduce his food gradually so he doesnt starve. Make sure he has plenty of fresh hay daily aswell :)

Dont be sorry, at least your here asking for advice, you obviously care for Ralph :) xXx

:D:D
Yes he only needs around an egg cup full :) I normal give my bunnies a small handful a day, then they get green veg of an evening. If Ralph has been having 1/2 full bowls, i would reduce his food gradually so he doesnt starve. Make sure he has plenty of fresh hay daily aswell :)

Dont be sorry, at least your here asking for advice, you obviously care for Ralph :) xXx

thanks thats very kind of you to help me :D
i will do exactly what u said and then i'll catch up with u a bit later and tell u how its going? I care very much for my bunny :D
xxx

Awwwh :) You could always ask down your pet shop if they sell Science Selective or Excel pellets :) Pellet food may be better if your bunny doesnt eat much hay as it is higher in fibre. Fibre will help his belly, and may stop the bad bottom :oops:

Is that Ralph in your advatar? He looks very sweet :love::love:

Awwwh :) You could always ask down your pet shop if they sell Science Selective or Excel pellets :) Pellet food may be better if your bunny doesnt eat much hay as it is higher in fibre. Fibre will help his belly, and may stop the bad bottom :oops:

Is that Ralph in your advatar? He looks very sweet :love::love:

yer that him haha i lovee him he wouldn'y hurt a fly :lol::love:
We sometimes get excel pellets should we start getting them regularly now? x

I would not reccomend excel pellets, I've heard of a lot of rabbits having problems (such as runny poo's) on these, my neighours rabbit's life was practically ruined by it. Science selective however is great :D

The reason he dosen't eat much hay might be due to the ammount you feed him, if he's full from pellets he wont want hay.

Definately :) Excel is much better for him than the cereal mix :) Hopefully with the excel pellets, and more hay his bum will improve :) Let us know how he gets on :) xxx

I would not reccomend excel pellets, I've heard of a lot of rabbits having problems (such as runny poo's) on these, my neighours rabbit's life was practically ruined by it. Science selective however is great :D

The reason he dosen't eat much hay might be due to the ammount you feed him, if he's full from pellets he wont want hay.

Many rabbits do fine on Excel pellets, all my foster bunnies have excel and ive never had a bunny with a bad tummy. Science Selective is better yes, but its hard to get hold of in some places :?

Both Excel and SS are good pellets :? Lots of people on here feed Excel :?

Many rabbits do fine on Excel pellets, all my foster bunnies have excel and ive never had a bunny with a bad tummy. Science Selective is better yes, but its hard to get hold of in some places :?

Both Excel and SS are good pellets :? Lots of people on here feed Excel :?

i will look for ss but if no0t i think i'll stick to excel pellets x if u havent had any problems then i might have some look to :lol:
x thanks x

Back