• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is this bunny sick or not?

Teal'c

Alpha Buck
I just cleaned Teyla's cage and saw yesterday's pellets in there. I threw out all the food/water/old bedding/etc and replaced it all with new. Instead of eating the new pellets like she usually does, she ignored them. Then she made some good looking poops and nibbled the pellets. Her tummy feels tight.

I have simethicone drops, fresh pineapple juice and apple flavored Pedialyte. Should I give her anything? If so, how much? Should I take her to the vet in the morning? She looks good and is acting normal, but the lack of interest in the pellets and the tight tummy got me worried.

EDIT: The internet ate my thread so I'm typing it again. She's got more interest in the food so I'm feeling better...Maybe just keep an eye on her and re-evaluate in the morning?

diet

I just cleaned Teyla's cage and saw yesterday's pellets in there. I threw out all the food/water/old bedding/etc and replaced it all with new. Instead of eating the new pellets like she usually does, she ignored them. Then she made some good looking poops and nibbled the pellets. Her tummy feels tight.

I have simethicone drops, fresh pineapple juice and apple flavored Pedialyte. Should I give her anything? If so, how much? Should I take her to the vet in the morning? She looks good and is acting normal, but the lack of interest in the pellets and the tight tummy got me worried.

EDIT: The internet ate my thread so I'm typing it again. She's got more interest in the food so I'm feeling better...Maybe just keep an eye on her and re-evaluate in the morning?

tummy,s generally are like doughy feeling,,hardness may indicate gi-stasis,//,is the diet-70%/hay ie. nondigestible-fibers timothy/orchard grass,some daily pellets??- digestible fibers(pellets) are soft fill the belly,thus no eating-overtime,,the constantly growing teeth become misaligned and eye teeth roots grow into the internal tear ducts causing infections and the gi tract slows creating another problem leading to stasis,,an-oral-exam and radiograph of the face and belly may be in order...sincerely james waller..visit me at http://jewaller.webs.com

,is the diet-70%/hay ie. nondigestible-fibers timothy/orchard grass,some daily pellets??- digestible fibers(pellets) are soft fill the belly,thus no eating-overtime,,the constantly growing teeth become misaligned and eye teeth roots grow into the internal tear ducts causing infections and the gi tract slows creating another problem leading to stasis,,an-oral-exam and radiograph of the face and belly may be in order...sincerely james waller..visit me at http://jewaller.webs.com

Yes, her diet is mostly timothy hay. She only gets a very small amount of pellets. Her teeth look good.

Back