• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor housing ideas

pigsforlife

Mama Doe
As I mentioned in my introduction thread I am planning for a new rabbit. As a first time owner I know very little. My guinea pigs are indoor pets and the rabbit will be as well. My pigs are housed in C&C cages which I *think* is like the "NIC" cages that some people post about here. I was going to use a similar idea to the C&C cage for the rabbits cage.

Here's the plan -

I have a pen that would be at least 75cm x 105cm and it would be at least 80cm tall. I am hoping that this will be a sufficient size for a dwarf rabbit. In the base of my pigs cages there is corflute (C&C = cubes & corflute) which is like a corrugated plastic. I was going to make a similar base to go inside the pen.

I am assuming they need some sort of bedding. So I was going to use fleece and towels. This is the bedding that I use for the pigs and goes on the concept that the fleece wicks the urine to the towels preventing the pig from getting wet. The cages last a week between cleanings. In addition to the fleece and towels I was planning on having a litter box filled with 100% recycled kitty litter (made from newspaper products).

Once litter trained the bun will be able to free range whilst I am home in the mornings and evenings.

So, how does that sound? Any tips, hints or suggestions?

I have a pen that would be at least 75cm x 105cm and it would be at least 80cm tall. I am hoping that this will be a sufficient size for a dwarf rabbit. In the base of my pigs cages there is corflute (C&C = cubes & corflute) which is like a corrugated plastic.

The style of the accomodation sounds good, 80 cms is a good height for a small / medium size rabbit. Unfortunately 75 x 105 cm is too small as a base for a rabbit. Rabbits are best kept in pairs as they are social animals, particuarly if they are left alone for more than a few hours a day. A good sized base for a rabbit is 180 cm x 60 cm with additional space for them to run about.

Bedding for rabbits should consist of hay as it is important that they eat at least their own body size in hay each day, many people put this is a litter tray as rabbits do tend to eat when they are using their toilet. Another option would be to put some hay in their tray and then hand above the tray lots more hay. Paperbased litter is good so is megasorb. You can put towels and vet bed down on the floor or even newspaper however this will depend on if your rabbit will eat and shred the towels and vet bed.

You would need to change the litter tray at least every 48 hours, usually daily particuarly in the summer. If your rabbits are not very good at litter training you may have to change everything frequently.

The litter tray will be cleaned out every day. I forgot to mention that before.

So if I extend the cage by another 45cm's in length, it would equal a similar sq m to that of a 60x180cm cage.

I am also going to add an extra level into it as I have heard that rabbits like height.

They will most definitely get hay in unlimited quantities. I was planning on putting this in the litter tray. Do they prefer a hay rack or a mound?

The other thing I was going to ask for the time being, and hopefully it is alright to ask it here and keep everything in the one thread, was toys. I want to keep bun as entertained as possible and was looking for some toy suggestions. I am thinking of collecting a box full of different toys, as well as cardboard boxes etc that I can rotate through to keep everything new and interesting. I also have a paper shredder. Any toy recommendations?

:wave: Hello

Anything safe for them to chew, they love willow sticks and can have an unlimited supply, my buns go mad for them, I have 3 house bunnies and when they are all chewing them the noise is deafening, but funny.

they also like things they can throw around such as the small plastic plant pots.

A treat ball is another good idea and keeps them amused for ages as does an old telephone book.

I like to attach a sisal door mat up the side of their cage, they dig at this and pull it apart. (some things are very messy but thats what us hoomins are here for, to clean up after them :lol:)

The best toy you can get them though, is another bunny to play with.

You will be happy to know that I have thought up a way to add on an additional pen. The original pen is 90cmx90cm and the additional pen is 120cmx60cm. As a result the overall length of the pen will be 210cm which should provide enough room, don't you think?

Yip, that sounds long enough now.

I put my hay at one side of the litter tray, so my two eat it while they are doing the loo, means less mess.

Just make sure you top it up when you can through the day to keep a fresh supply for eating.

What sort of hay racks do you use?

I am going to go and see the little bun tomorrow. She is mainly chocolate with cream flecks on her chest.

I dont use hay racks, i just put it in the litter tray at one side of it, works great for me.
I just keep topping up with fresh stuff.

Back