• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

litter training

Homer

Young Bun
hi guys!

hope everybody is well and coping with the weather :)

i have a question, bart my yobbo bunny is about 11weeks old at the moment, he is a house bunny and lives in his cage (our flats not huge nor is the living room bunny proof yet) so unfortunately he is in there through the day when we're at work/night when sleeping... but we let him out every time possible!

my question is though, how do i go about litter training him? picking up loads of poops in the morning and all of the pee soaked woodchips is a bit tedious, and the amount of sawdust that gets everywhere is immense! thankfully he never does it outside of the cage though.

i know a litter tray will be a worthy investment, however i am not sure how to go about making him use it? he generally goes in 3 places of the cage at the moment, two corners and the middle ground of the two corners, so i need to get him going in one corner, and in a tray!

when i remove his soaked bedding in the morning i put a little bit back into the corners so he 'knows'?

all advice welcome guys, thanks :)

I got Louie at 8 weeks and got him a littertray straightaway.

I filled it with hay and he just started using it with very few accidents :D

Try putting it in one of the corners he toilets in and see how you get on!

Definately get a litter tray and put it in one of the corners he currently uses.

My bunny has a tray in her cage lined with newspaper and filled with hay. Empty it everyday but just wash it about once a week. I had to buy a 2nd litter tray to use for a while as my bunny used to wee by the tv :roll:. Anyhow she stopped using the 2nd tray after about a month and now just goes in her main one.

If he goes anywhere else in the cage clean it well so that the smell is gone to deter going there again.

Hope that helps ya ! :)

Yep, just get on it with and see how it goes :D

I line my tray with newspaper, fill it two-thirds with Tesco premium paper-based cat litter and put some hay at the unfilled end. Rabbits like to munch and poo :) Muppet likes to face outwards/towards the action so I put the hay at the front. Sooty's not so bothered.

Make sure you have a big enough tray. I started off with a normal sized corner one but Muppet (only 1.7kg) never looked comfortable in it. I have a cat litter tray now, one of the slightly deeper ones. (NB rabbit wee goes out horizontally backwards, hence the need for deep sides, otherwise it goes over the top of shallow sides!)

Muppet likes to face outwards/towards the action so I put the hay at the front.

Good luck with it, we are trying to litter train our 3 after there neutering. Its going well in their enclosure but we let them out to play in the evening, needless to say, we are surrounded by poop........oh well, sculks off to get hoover, again :lol:

Its going well in their enclosure but we let them out to play in the evening, needless to say, we are surrounded by poop........

That doesnt necessarily mean they arent litter-trained, it could be that they are marking 'their' territory, especially if it's poo rather than wee.

well we got him a litter tray, bunged it in, put a few soiled shavings ontop of fresh stuff, lo and behold hes going in it!

all i need now is for all of the poop to go into it and we're laughing :lol:

Back