• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit Savvy Vet Suggestions?

Janey

Warren Veteran
Hello,

I was wondering if anybody knows of a rabbit savvy vet in North London or the surrounding areas? I have been taking my bunny to a vet I have been very happy with so far but now that she has less of a straightforward problem they seem to be struggling in how best to treat her and I would like to see somebody who is more knowledgable!! I did take her to another vet in London that my vet suggested to me but she still didn't seem to offer anything that I felt would make a difference to my rabbits condition!!

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

I used to go to Guy Carter at Medivet in Watford. He's very well known in rabbit 'vet' circles.

I'm in Enfield, I'm not sure where Sheen is in relation to me but I am willing to travel if it's to a good vet,

I have heard of Guy Carter from having a look on the Internet-perhaps I could give him a call because Watford isn't too far.

Thank you for your help, it's much appreciated.

Guy's very, very good Janey. Medivet are quite expensive - I suppose because they're inside the M25, but if he was the only rabbit-savvy vet I could get to, I wouldn't hesitate. He's highly recommended. Luckily for me I now go to the Cat and Rabbit Care Clinic in Northampton.

For 3 weeks, I took my first rabbit with eye problems on 2 hour round trips to see a highly recommended rabbit vet & at the end of it was told the same thing that my vet up the road diagnosed - a diagnoses which had been originally rubbished by the experts veterinary nurse. She had said my vet didn't know what he was talking about & implied that I obviously didn't care for my rabbit if I just accepted what I had been told !

So I took him, ending up with a large bill, a sore eyed rabbit & at the end of it , no suggestion of any further help where my local vets arranged a consultation with an eye expert.

The problem my rabbit has is also with her eyes and that is my worry-that I take her to another vet and they just make her worse. She seems happy at the moment but has been on antibiotics for a month with the view of trying to flush her blocked ducts again soon!! However, when they were last flushed they were so sore and she was so poorly I thought it best to get another opinion from a completely rabbit savvy vet before doing it again!!

I have already spent so much at my vets-I go to Village Vet which I think is quite pricey, especially when I compare their price of meds to other places so I imagine Medivet will be about the same.

It's do hard knowing what the right thing to do is!!

Back