• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

weeing concern

yoshi&gizmo

Alpha Buck
Hello peeps

Just a quick question gizmo as many of you on here know has had alot of trouble with his stomach. But we have been keeping on top of it and he is due to go vets after christmas for a dental.

However a couple of times now we have noticed its not just poos [caecotrophs] stuck around his back end [he over produces these for those of you who don't know] but also he is wet with wee. :cry:

Now he is a lionlop cross angora so obviously we expect him to get a bit messy sometimes with his problem however this is quite a new thing and i am wondering if this is just laziness or whether this is now going to be another problem with him.

Please advise if anyone else has a rabbit that does this. Gizmo is just over 1 and a half and in himself seems fine but i know rabbits are as a rule a clean animal so thats why i am slightly concerned. Another point i should make is the fact that gizmo has a cushion in his hutch [as does yoshi] that they sit on and sometimes sleep on.... lately gizmo has started weeing on his so wondering whether he is just sitting in his own wee :?

Very occasionally, say every 3 months or so, my bunny (lionhead) does a wee in her bed and seems to wallow in it.
But she never seems to come away from it wet with wee.
If he is doing a wee in his bed then sitting in it, I guess thats your answer but I have always worried about mine getting wee burn so its something I check for.
It might be worth giving your vet a quick call if your worried. Best way to ease your mind :)

Thanks for the reply. I am a bit concerned i must admit. I still can't help thinking it could be laziness :? i will keep a check on him and see how he goes over the next couple of days. We have been bathing his back end to help keep him clean. I feel so sorry for him but now he seems to know we are helping him and even comes over to me when he is messy to be picked up and cleaned:shock:

I would take him to the vets, he could have a Urinary tract infection which would cause sudden loss of litter box habbits. UTI are painful and requires pain relief and anti biotics.

Update On Gizmo ....took Him To The Vets

Hi all

took your advise and took gizmo to the vets. Turns out the end of his willy is somehow got a bit infected :oops: red swollen and the vet said it was hard to get it to come out :oops: :oops: :shock:

She felt his bladder but said that seems fine so she gave him a shot of anti-inflamitry / pain relief and a shot of 3 day course of anti-biotics.

He is due back in the new year for a dental and x-ray so she said they will x-ray his abdomen too just to ensure he hasn't got any kidney stones etc. But gizmo seems much happier today so hopefully things are going to clear up on there own now :wave:

Back