• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Melanoma in Rabbits?

Vicki

Alpha Buck
A couple of weeks ago I found a tiny lump on Lola's ear, i got her to the vet the next day to have it checked out. The vet said she wasnt sure what it was and gave me two options, antibiotics for a week or operate and remove it, i opted to remove it as I didnt like to chance it. The lump was removed last Tuesday and today we went back for the stitches to be removed and I finally got the results. She said it was a Melanoma, type of cancerous tumour. She said its very lucky we got it out so early as it was so tiny, she wasnt going to recommend to operate, so luckily I did! Aparently the results show that no Mitotic figures were shown, which is the multiplying cell, which is a very good sign as it means 'fingers crossed' it hasnt spread.

I just wanted to know if anyone else has experianced this and how it turned out for them? Lola in herself hasnt changed one bit, she's still binkying around and mad for her food!

Thanks

My Summer had a Melanoma. Unfortunately she came to me with it, and by the time it was removed it had metastised, first to her liver, and then onto her lungs. We lost her within 6 months of removing the tumour.

Hers was not caught early. Various vets (first RSPCA vets, and then my own vets) spent a few months titting about trying to drain it and stuff until I just gave up with that and booked her in for the removal of it. The speed with which we didn't act probably had a huge impact on how fast we lost her. I'm so, so hoping that your speedy reponse will mean that Lola has no more problems with this at all.

Hi, thanks for your reply, im so sorry to hear about Summer. Lola's lump was removed within a week of finding it and was smaller than a small pea, so hopefully that was early enough. Im keeping everything crossed for her. Ill be keeping a regular check on feeling her for lumps but obviously if it goes to her liver or lungs theres not much way of knowing.

my Smudge had melanoma as well. His lump was removed (about the size of a pea on the back of his head). When the lump was analysed they said that it looked like they had removed all of it and that it wasn't that deep in the skin. However, if they had missed any it may move to the lungs. My vet suggested getting x-rays done so that if there were any symptoms later on with difficulty in breathing etc, they could compare the x-rays to see if there were any changes.
Smudge unfortunately passed away as well.

Binky free my little boy :love:

Back