• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding Q - does this sound like it went well? (pics added)

beki

Mama Doe
Today was the day, 4 weeks after reggies neuter, he got to meet ruby!

I set up the pen (80 cm panels set into a 80x80 square) in the kitchen, armed with water guns and gardening gloves.

Put them each in a half of the pen with dividing panel and fed them some kale side by side. Went ok, apart from ruby kept pushing her mouth through the bars and stole reggies!

Moved the panel, ruby went for him so she got sprayed with the water gun (only a teensy bit, didn't want to upset my baby too much). She went for him about 5 times over 20 minutes, hopping around and eating kale in between. I think she was getting a bit possesive with the kale so took it away., When i had done this she went up to reggie, who seemed a bit scared of her by this point and just froze and she sniffed his face and marked his ears with her chin! she was then really nice hopping round him in circles marking him and doing mini head binkies. She then kept floping over. Reggie didn't seem to know what to do and this was frustrating ruby a bit i think. She kept hopping round him.

Then she humped him! a lot, from the back and also on his head! i had to keep moving her when she was on his head (when i could stop laughing) as i thought she might hurt him, do you think this upset him? he just let her. she was doing it for ages, poor reggie. She then flopped on her side.

I have worked out that she does like him, but i am not sure if he likes her. He didn't move much at all, whenever he moved she lunged at him, she didn't bite but i think she thought he wanted to play as she does this with the cats and chases them around. Poor reggie just froze though, so ruby marked him instead.

Also she got very possessive with food when i tried to give them both something to eat, she went for him and pulled a chunk of hair out of his back. Actually she took quite a lot of hair out of him over the evening, but i think she just wanted to hump him and was trying to get to him. She hasn't injured him though.

They have both gone into separate hutches tonight, thought i had better give reggie some rest from the humping.

He didn't seem to want to cuddle up to ruby although she was flopping over everywhere and kept pushing her head under his chin, he just seemed so scared and didn't relax at all! they were togehter for about 3 hours and apart from the scuffles over the food i would say it went ok but then i don;t really know what i am doing. Any advice?

ETA - some pics
As you can see ruby wants love but reggie is just rigid and looks a bit scared to me!

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p2/beccaspiccies/th_DSC01030.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p2/beccaspiccies/th_DSC01029.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p2/beccaspiccies/th_DSC01028.jpg
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p2/beccaspiccies/th_DSC01027.jpg

on the last two pics we were stoking both of them right before it was taken, ruby put her head under reggie and fell asleep!

Last edited:
It sounds like it was going ok actually, so long as he was happy to accept her as boss.
Have you put them back together again? It is usually better to leave them together if possible, to avoid going back to square one every time you separate them and slowing down the bonding process xx

phew, at least it sounded like it went ok. No not put them back togehter yet. I have fridat off next week so can do a longer session then, 3 solid days and hopefully if they are OK through that they can stay togehter.

oo another q, what can i do about the food issues, i don;t want her attcking him when he wants to eat!

any more advice please? going to start the long bond thursday night, this time no splitting them up! i am off work friday and will be around all weekend except possibly sunday. they can stay inside togehter for a few days in the indoor cage with a pen. Do you think if i clean it with Milton (as reggie has lived in it for about 3 weeks) this will neutralise any smells?

Back