• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

straw in addition to hay

beki

Mama Doe
As it is getting colder would you recommend using straw in addition to hay? not sure where i ahve read or heard this but i thought straw was more insulating? I was thinking of doing the bed with a layer of paper, a layer of woodshavings, a layer of straw and then top it off with hay.

Although i am sure most of this will be worthless as ruby is prefering to sleep out in the open at the moment. silly bunny! its freezing!

Mine always have at least one 'bed' area full of long stem straw from a bale - not the chopped, compressed stuff you buy in a pet shop. However, I've yet to see any of them use it - they prefer to sit outside when it's minus 10 degrees :lol::lol:

awww you ahve silly bunnies too!

I have got to pick up a new bale of hay tomorrow from the local farm as mine got wet so was contemplating a bale of straw too.

I use straw in their bedroom area, as I remember reading that its better than hay as insulation?

Likewise though, my buns always prefer to sit by the door where they can see out!:roll:

I use straw as well as hay otherwise they'd just eat all their bedding and be cold :(
Although they seem to eat the straw as well... just not as much as hay.

Hay is more insulating so yes I would advise adding some straw in to their bedding area with the hay.
But do ensure they still have lots of fresh hay as hay is more important for them to eat as it has the essential fibre and nutrients in it that straw lacks.
I would not recommed using wood shavings though they have been linked to liver problems and cancers in bunnies due to the hydrocarbons they emmit.

Paper, straw and hay will be just fine. :wave:

I use lots of straw in the sleeping area and a light sprinkling on the downstairs of their hutch so they could (potentially) wipe their paws if they are wet. They have fresh hay in their hay bale and a bit of hay on the floor of the upstairs too.

Back