• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ideal/Rough Lionhead Weight ???

donnab1981

Young Bun
Simba is now 4 months old and weighs 3lb 8oz... Does anyone know roughly the typical weight of a Lionhead...? My gut feeling is he looks and feels healthy, I cant feel his spine... :)

I know rabbits even within a breed vary... just dont want to over/underfeed him etc. Up until now he's been having an eggcup of pellets am and pm = 1oz approx daily, about 4 spring-green leaves and obviously unlimited hay.

Ive been doing some research... now worried Ive been underfeeding him, :shock: some suggest 1oz per lb therefore 6 eggcups daily! :? Also its seems advice is whilst a baby they need more / unlimited pellets and less once an adult, at what age is adult 4/6 months?!

it always a bit hard to say. At a rough guide 1.36 - 1.70kg (3lb- 3lb 12) adult weight but many lionheads should weight much more depending on if they have been crossed. The best way to tell is:

Spine. You should feel a definition but it shouldn't feel sharp or bony. If you can't find the spine at all then they may be overweight.

Ribs - Again you should be able to feel these a little without poking too hard but again there should be some covering on them.

Tummy - As they are moving the outline of their tummy should be a little like a slightly raised spoon with the ribs being the spoon bit. No beer bellies.

Dewlap - Boys should not have one at all. Girls may have one if not neutered.

From the top - Most buns will look like a rectangle or possible a triangle (head the pointy bit, rump the wider bit)......they should not look like a circle or eclipse.

it sounds like you are feeding him the right amount of pellets, although possibly a bit heavy on the sping green leaves. Try giving him a bit more variation and keep it to about half a cereal bowl.

Spine. You should feel a definition but it shouldn't feel sharp or bony. If you can't find the spine at all then they may be overweight.

From the top - Most buns will look like a rectangle or possible a triangle (head the pointy bit, rump the wider bit)......they should not look like a circle or eclipse.

Thanks for the thorough details. He is triangular shaped or rather pear shaped fullest only around his hind. I cant feel his spine as such but can feel definition going down his body 1cm wide - muscle covering? Will compare with the other listed checks, I guess for the moment he's about right then.

Will vary his fresh food with herbs etc and give him less of the greens... Thanks :D

Back