• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vetmedin alongside fortekor

donnamt

Wise Old Thumper
has anyone had a rabbit with a heart poorly enough to need both?

im just hoping for a live longer miracle, vets face said it all really but i cant bear her to go so soon :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

please someone give me a glimmer of hope these two drugs together really can help her

1 day at a time i know this, honestly i do.

A combination of both is not a bad thing. Certainly in cat and dog medicine it is becoming standard procedure to have multiple cardioactive drugs so you can have lower doses of each and reduce the likelihood of side effects.
I hope she does respond and starts to improve

thankyou :D she did try to explain how the two do different stuff so can work together i think, but id already started blubbing and she had to go get me tissues. :oops::oops:
she even let me and pearl wait in the examination room while we waited for the drugs to be prepared.

pearl Really doesnt like the taste of the new stuff tho :shock:

thankyou :D she did try to explain how the two do different stuff so can work together i think, but id already started blubbing and she had to go get me tissues. :oops::oops:
she even let me and pearl wait in the examination room while we waited for the drugs to be prepared.

pearl Really doesnt like the taste of the new stuff tho :shock:

Try mixing it with some Blackberry and Apple flavoured water. Morse LOVES his meds now they are mixed with it :)

Lots of vibes for poorly Pearl - I do hope she can hang on in there and start to feel better soon. Thinking of you x

im not sure but she seems to have got a bit of fight back again. not taking the drugs like a good girl today :lol::lol::lol:

she seems smaller too, i wonder if fliuds had started to build up after all and now they are getting flushed out. vet only wanted to give two weeks of the diruetics tho because of the risk to the kidneys :?

im not sure but she seems to have got a bit of fight back again. not taking the drugs like a good girl today :lol::lol::lol:

she seems smaller too, i wonder if fliuds had started to build up after all and now they are getting flushed out. vet only wanted to give two weeks of the diruetics tho because of the risk to the kidneys :?

My cardiac Buns were on diuretics for months, Sarah almost a year.
Without them the fluid built up in their chest and their quality of life was severely compromised.

In terminal illness the longterm side effects of medication is really not the issue. Quality of the Bun's remaining time is :)

I was thinking the same thing... diuretic use in humans with heart disease is an ongoing treatment... I just assumed that buns were different somehow from what your vet said... hoping in that case Pearl can perhaps stay on them longer if she needs them. Glad to hear she is perked up today - the diuretics must be making her feel a lot better already. :)

vet only wanted to give two weeks of the diruetics tho because of the risk to the kidneys :?

Artie has been put on diruetics for five weeks :? I wouldn't have thought the possible benefits for him would be worth any risks. Maybe it's lower dose or less risk with different conditions or something. :? :? (Good job I trust his vet but still concerned).

Back