• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

eating...

Hello peeps,

Just curious as to how often and how much you should actually feed your rabbit? As floppy seems to eat like there is no tomorrow. Just wondered if there was anything i should or shouldn't be doing.

Thankyou

hiya :wave:

rabbits always act starving!

mainly hay, 90% of the diet, small amount of pellets, about an egg cup a day, a selection of veg and herbs.

mainly hay hay and more hay though!

How old is your rabbit? If he/she is a baby then I dont know.

For adult rabbits, then lots and lots of HAY is the main thing. It's good for their teeth (which grow constantly and so they need all that chewing to wear them down) and good for their digestive system (which needs to be constantly moving: the hay keeps that going).

Then there's VEG - a bowl a day (or more if you dont feed pellets). In the reference section there is a thread called edibles if you're stuck for ideas or not sure what's safe. Introduce new veg one at a time to make sure your rabbit is OK with it.

And finally PELLETS. A small amount daily if you're feeding pellets - a tablespoon or eggcup-full is enough for an average sized rabbit. It's important not to give too many pellets, as then they dont eat as much hay as they should. (Like us and having pudding instead of proper dinner ;)). You dont have to feed pellets at all, you could just feed more veg instead.

My two rabbits are both small (3lbs or so) and they each have 10g of pellets per day (split into two meals), a small bowl of veg in the morning and again late evening. And lots of hay of course!

Back