• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Some vibes for Thumper please

leong

Warren Scout
Thumper is not a well bunny, woke up this morning to find that he'd not eaten his fresh veg and pellets from last night and he had drunk no water :( Immediatley took him to the vets where he was given a steroid injection and a dose of IV antibiotics, I was given some Baytril to administer. The vet at the time said his stomach seemed gassy. Cue a day full of tummy massages, syringe feeding of lukewarm water/avipro (approx 2.5ml twice today) and SS recovery food and he looked no better tonight.
Went to see the emergency vet who gave him an injection of one of the promides (not sure on the particular type) to try and get his gut moving however the emergency vet said his stomach felt like it was full of liquid rather than gas.
He's still not eating and just lying down, is there anything else I can do for him? He has played with his food, just not eaten it. Teeth are fine so this must be something else, if it's a blockage can anything be done? :?
TIA

I am not an expert, but usually people here recommend pain relief. If your bunny is in pain, he will not eat. Also, if his stomach is gassy, have you tried Infacol or Gripe Water? Sending lots of vibes for Thumper xxx

Hi antigone, I just checked with the emergency vet and he was given a pain relief injection this morning (when I first brought him in), again not sure on the name of it, i forgot to ask.
Infacol was the first thing I tried this morning when we got back from the vets.
Just trying to keep him moving around now, with the odd tummy massage. I'm also going to give him a little bit of recovery food shortly.

I would suggest adding a heat source into the mix too to ensure his body temp doesn't sink. Something like a snugglesafe or a rice sock or something, so he can lie with it if he needs to.

Has he passed any faeces ?

Why was he given a steroid :?

Hi Jacks-Jane, i'm really not sure why and tried to read the computer screen to find out what it was. It wasn't the usual vet this morning (we have two at our local vets who i would class to be rabbit savvy) so i don't know if she just said steroid because she didn't actually know what it was (she had to go into the back room to consult her rabbit book :roll: )
He had 2 injections this morning, an IV baytril and this supposed steroid injection however I have just been informed by the rabbit savvy emergency vet that it was actually a pain killer :roll:
So far today, i have seen no faeces nor has he urinated.

Sky-O, thanks for the advice, we are trying to keep him moving about at the moment and the heating is turned right up in the living room. I will look into sorting out a rice sock as we haven't got a snugglesafe.

Be careful not to go from one temp to another too quickly as this can be problematic, but oviously keep him warm.
Give him lots of fuss and TLC, buns are like humans and heal better if they are in a good place emotionally, so lots of kisses. :)
Sending lots of vibes for Thumper.

Unfortunatley Thumper passed away this morning at around 3:30am :cry: He was drinking water like mad all night but seemed unable to go to the toilet. I don't think we could do anything else for him to be honest.
RIP Thumper

Thanks for all your condolences.
Binky free little man, say hello to Denzi for us :cry:

Thumper.jpg

Abi forwarded your email to me Leon. I am so so sorry to hear about Thumper. :cry: Thank you for doing all you could for him and giving him such a great home. Binky free little man.xxx

Back