• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Getting my first rabbit soon - Opinions please!

Canine

Young Bun
Hi all :wave:
I'm getting my first bunny in December (a male) and will be getting him neutured etc, and hoping that after a few months I can adopt another female rabbit from a shelter so that they can each have a companion. I know very few people who own two rabbits and so I have come here to seek opinions from those of you who understand the space requirements two mini-lop rabbits will need.

I'm thinking about getting a hutch similiar to these and keeping them both in the laundry at night and in the mornings:
317d1jb.png

2nsxj09.png

Whilst during the day for about 5-6 hours I intend to place them both
in here so they can graze on the lawn and move about.
1zgyvt4.png

Will this be okay? As I say they will be mini-lops or around that size, but I don't know wether the hutches are too small. I have ziltch experience with rabbits but have done a little research on the internet which has lead me to here. Any suggestions/opinions/and or advice are greatly appreciated.

hi welcome :wave:

i would say those hutches are far too small so deffo go for something way bigger if planning to have 2 buns :wave:

good luck with new bun:)

They're not big enough really, as a minimum you should look for a 6ft x 2ft x 2ft hutch with a 6ft x 6ft run attached. Hope this helps :)

Definataly NOT big enough!
You want to be looking for a hutch that is no smaller than 6ft x 2ft x 2ft - and a Run that is no smaller than 6ft x 6ft.

I compltely agree with the above comments. Far too small. Good luck with getting buns :wave:

Ditto.
Have you considered keeping them in a converted shed. It may sound rather silly but it works just as well, if not better (as you can stand up when cleaning out and is sheltered from the rain) as a hutch.

EDIT: You could fit a catflap going it to a run, like so:

001.jpg

Thanks very much for the comments everyone - I'm so glad I didn't go out and purchase those!

Have you considered keeping them in a converted shed. It may sound rather silly but it works just as well, if not better (as you can stand up when cleaning out and is sheltered from the rain) as a hutch.

That's a great idea but I'm a little worried about keeping them outside as I live in Australia and it's illegal to get your rabbit vaccinated against myxomatosis - I would be too afraid of the mosquitoes getting to them. I also have a small dog who barks at anything that moves and I wouldn't want him to ever break into their home.

I suppose I will just look at larger versions and ones which meet those sizing requirements which some of you listed above. Thanks again!

That looks very nice, I like that. Would you need to attach a run or anything to it though, or is that space on the right adequate enough?

It's plenty. There is a 4x4ft living area so 16 suare feet. The RSPCA recommends a 6ft x 2ft hutch so 12 square feet and the meshed part of the kennel is 6ft x 4ft which the RSPCA says is fine for a small to medium pair of rabbits. You could also give them some free range time if you can.

It's plenty. There is a 4x4ft living area so 16 suare feet. The RSPCA recommends a 6ft x 2ft hutch so 12 square feet and the meshed part of the kennel is 6ft x 4ft which the RSPCA says is fine for a small to medium pair of rabbits. You could also give them some free range time if you can.

Well it sounds and looks just perfect. You must have very lucky bunnies! :)
The only thing stopping me from having one that like that is that I don't think my parents would be prepared to pay quite that much for one, considering that I have never owned any rabbits before.

I was having another look on Ebay just before and found these:
e87tjp.png
or
w2n606.jpg

attatched to:
rbh7y0.png

(With them living outdoors, obviously)
I will probably put some wire around the whole lot so that my dog can't even
get directly to the hutch or the run, and adding a fly screen to prevent the mozzies from pestering them as well.

If that's too small yet again, I'll definitely look at buying that one you had suggested. (I just love those sweet looking little house styled-ones):love:

Some poeple have bought housing like those and have found the living quarters to be really small. I personally wouldn't keep a single nethie in one (not that I would have a single rabbit). I didn't find it to be that expensive. Just my quote for £325 plus a catflap of my choice. A good quality good size hutch from Ryedale here http://www.rehutches.com/singlehutch06.htm is £203 with a 6ft x 4ft run being £99. That's a total price of £302 for something much smaller.

Obviously that's what we have available in the UK. It could be different where you are.

Can I just say how lovely it is to see someone wanting to get things right before rushing into buying unsuitable housing :D

Are you thinking of keeping your rabbits as indoor buns then? Rabbits are very clean and can be trained to use a litter tray

I would most definitely prefer it but judging by the amount of spare space in our laundry and the size that the hutch will need to be I don't think it's possible. Perhaps in the Winter months I'd have them inside. I don't really know yet - that's the thing.

there are lots of peopple here who have indoor buns i have 4 myself, 2 of them are excellent they only poop and wee either in an old dog basket ive got or there bed, my other 2 do have a habit of changing there toilet spots
nd poop everywhere

i will say when you get your first bun they will go to the toilet everywhere mainly to mark territory at first, they mainly wee in set areas and poops are easy to clean up, rabbits are very clean animals, and are easy to train and settle into a routine once neutered, a few litter trays around will help this, as they pick there toilet spots not you :lol:

welcome to the forum :D

I think it's great you want to get your bunnies the best housing possible - it shows that you are a going to be a GREAT bunny owner :D

The hutches/runs you last posted is still IMO not big enough. If you take a look at Rydale Hutches they have some great hutches that come in 6ft versions. Also you can take a look at Dawsons Animal Housing, he makes you any size hutch you want. He made me a 6ft x 6ft x 3ft Run and it is great!

I hope you find a great hutch, and Welcome to the Forum :D

Back