• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What veg do give to your buns?

skgreene

Warren Scout
As im planning to get a bun soon im interesting what veg your buns like and dislike, ive found a general list of what rabbit can and cant eat but it varies from book to book and website to website.

Spinach, watercress, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, and herbs.

And fruit, grapes, blueberries and a bit of banana.

Depends on the bunny, majority of mine like spring greens, baby corn, sugar snap peas, brussel sprouts, mint, dill and basil.

Thanks most say that cron and peas shouldn't be fed but ill have give them all a little try to see which he/her will like

Some favourites of mine are:
Brocolli, dill, cabbage, coriander, carrot (but not too much), parsley, basil.

That's going by what Pipkin seems to prefer; Ruby will eat anything. It depends on whether you get a fussy bun!

willow
basil
lavender
rosemary
parsley
peppermint
garden mint
lavender mint linus only eats this one though to me it smells of cat pee :lol:
sage
chickory
raspberry leaves
blackberry leaves
carrots
apple
brocoli
strawberries
cauliflower leaves
greens
round cabbage
sprouts
watercress
coriander
dandilion
nasterum (typo)leaves and flowers
tomato though i do take the seeds out
marigolds
echanacia (again not sure how to spell it )
most of these im lucky to grow ( if linus hasnt jumped into the pots first to nick all for himself :lol:)plus have a hugeeeeee willow tree

and i only buy loose kale not the packet stuff for some reason even when i wash it, it doesnt agree with my buns

Thanks most say that cron and peas shouldn't be fed but ill have give them all a little try to see which he/her will like

The pea pods are fine, the peas themselves are high in proteins, and afaik its normal corn that is bad, baby corn is fine :)

Jose likes:

Spring Greens
Curly Kale
Carrot
Brocolli
Spinach
Parsley
Basil

She can be a bit fussy and it sometimes takes a few tries over a few days before she decides if she likes something or not :roll:

Bella and Oscar have a variation daily but from a list of spring greesns, carrot tops (leaves), celery leaves, radish leaves, cauli leaves, parsley, mint, basil, rosemary, corriander, thyme, broccoli leaves, dandilion leaves, raspberry leaves, apple, carrot and banana occasionally as a treat..prob other things I've missed....

I actually grow my own veg, i never though bout growing it for my bun, so i could grow carrots, lettuce for my new bun for next almost nothing. But ill to remember to keep some for myself :lol::lol:

Just a few things

swiss chard
sprouts
pak choy
raspberry leaf
mint
rosemary
parsley
basil
rocket
spring greens
carrot
kale
thyme
swede
turnip
cauliflower

My get a selection from:

Watercress (fav)
Kale
Corriander
Mint
Parsley (flat has less calcium apparently)
Basil
Spring Greens
Pointed/green/savoy cabbage
Corgette
Parsnip
Carrot
Sprout leaves
Rocket
Choi
Narnie
Apple
Pear (lower in sugar apparently)

I actually grow my own veg, i never though bout growing it for my bun, so i could grow carrots, lettuce for my new bun for next almost nothing. But ill to remember to keep some for myself :lol::lol:

Thats a great idea but lettuce isnt good for buns so perhaps spring greens instead.

My buns have mainly

spring greens
kurly cale
savoy cabbage
carrot tops
cauliflower leaves

Then they will have a little of

broccoli
carrot
apple
pear
parsely
basil
corriader
cauliflower

For a treat I give them

grapes
banana
pineapple - huge fav!

Mine get

Curly Kale
Spring greens
Broccoli
Corriander (big favourite)
Parsley
Savoy Cabbage
Leaves from cauliflower
Carrot
Apple
Pear
Grapes
Pineapple
Melon (only when we have it)

I grow cabbages in large pots! 4 to a pot and pick off leaves as you need them - the cabbage keeps growing! Suttons online were doing 50 brassica plants for £9.99 a few weeks back, they might still be? Bargain! :D
In the summer my buns love pea tops (Waitrose sells in bags in salad section) Watercress - will grow in a shallow bowl of water (but you need to change water daily) Radish and beetroot tops also go down well when thinning out rows. Celery tops are a huge favourite!

Buns also love wild bunny safe weeds/plants:
Mallow
Plantain
Dandelion
Goose grass (cleavers)
Groundsel
Nipplewort
Clover
Shepherd's purse
Nettle (dried is best - you can dry your own, including dandelion/plantain etc spread out on a baking sheet in a warm oven (50-100 deg) for an hour or two then bag into brown paper bags so can breathe. Roll nettles with rolling pin first to crush stings.
Jerusalem artichoke leaves - my buns LOVE these and they grow vigorously in any garden.
Hedgerows are full of hazel bushes - twigs and leaves can be fed. Apple tree, pear tree, willow, hawthorn etc.

All shop bought veg should be washed - especially pre cut and bagged stuff as is usually washed in strong chlorine before packaging and i have had problems with acute dysbiosis from this.

Back