• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is your bunny shed insulated?

Insulate?

• Yes

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • No

Votes: 10 62.5%

• Total voters

Crunchie

Warren Veteran
Does everyone that keeps rabbits in a shed have it insulated or are there folks out there that haven't done so?

I didn't realise it'd be so expensive to insulate our shed and we're going to struggle to do it. My rabbits have a snugglesafe which they largely ignore so i'm wondering if it'd actually be worth our while. Given they have been used to being outside in a hutch will they be OK without the shed being insulated?

We are putting adjustable vents into their shed which can be closed off a little bit more at night time.

My bike shed hutch is insulated but the other hutch I built is not. I don't think insulation does much to be honest. Since bunnies don't actually product much heat, it doesn't really keep much in. The reason we have it in our homes is because we use central heating and this makes a big heat differential between the inside and outside so heat escapes by the tonne without insulation.

I think the best thing to do is to make sure there are absolutely no holes or gaps that will create a breeze through the shed. If you can provide a smaller box inside the shed and fill it with hay, they can snuggle in this and keep warm.

Mine of course will just sit out in their run all night anyway so I have to lock them in the hutch if it gets below zero :roll:

insulating sheds wont improve the overall temperature in winter but it will prevent the extreme highs and lows. If your sheds are south facing and overheat in summer then I would recommend it. However to keep them warmer I would personally just put lots of extra straw in their fave sleeping areas. (make sure u use straw not hay as hay isnt anywhere near as insulating). Ive just done a degree in Building Surveying so i do kinda know what im taking about :p

My bunny sheds are both insulated and filled with nice warm things for them to snuggle up in and my bunnies all choose to sleep outside in their runs :roll:

Back