• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Injured bunny

I have a 6 week old bunny who was fine until last week. Its back legs now are trailing behind it, it looks paralysed to me from the waist down. It doesnt seem in any pain and pulls itself along with its two legs very expertly, it is feeding and drinking well. My mum says it is cruel and I should have it put to sleep but I think that I couldn't do that. The only problem that I have is that when it poo's and wets it is sticking to its back end. I forced myself to deal with it and brought it into the house and washed and dried it, but next day it is the same again.
I'm not sure if I can do this on a daily basis or if it is even fair, I welcome opinions or advice from anyone who has dealt with a disabled rabbit before.

Has it been to the vet? If not, that is the place to start, starting tonight, to have things like x-rays and pain meds to work out what is wrong with the poor little thing.

EC causes paralysis, but can be treated. But please do get your bun to a vet as soon as you can. Xrays can rule out spinal damage so may be worthwhile. If it is EC your bun could be given a steroid injecton, then metacam. Good luck. To make you feel better, One of my buns had severe EC (completely paralysed) & made a full recovery.

You need to take him/her to the vet asap. He'll be able to do tests to see if the bunlet has feeling in his/her back legs, do tests for EC etc.

You should take her really soon...are there other kits or is it just baby and mum? If so then take mum with baby so you don't frighten the poor thing.

Took the wee bunny to the vets tonight and he said its back end was paralysed and really that was as good as it was going to get. I dont know if it was getting worse but I was changing the bedding twice a day so it wasnt lying in its own urine and last two days the whole paper was soaking. I was bathing it incase the skin would break down but to be honest it was just as bad in a couple of hours, and with the whole hutch being wet with urine i felt it was kinder to leave it with the vet.
I now have one heartbroken little girl but felt it was the best decision to make, many thanks to all who replyed and also to Liz who took the time to send me a private message.

Back