• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

not easy being a bunny owner

rexy&coco

Warren Scout
i have never been so stressed since i started having bunnys as pets for my kids. i thought , clean them out, cuddle them, feed them, and give them exercise and thats it. they are unbelievably sensitive to everything, i find myself in a permenant state of panic, poop- no poop, are they eating enough, having just lost one to pin worms and coccidia and now worrying about my other 2 is ageing me by years everyday, my new little netherland dwarf who came to us on wednesday doesn't seem to be eating much, had a bit of cabbage but not doing much with her other food, i am going to be a wreck soon, dont know if i am cut out for all this stress,:?

Ahh it does get easier as they get used to you and you start to understand their little ways. I was exactly the same when I first got mine and was constantly worried that I wasn't doing a good job of looking after them, but now I am used to things it is much better. Stick with it and you will be fine. At least you care about them and want to do the right thing by them. This site is a godsend for info and help too. Good luck :wave:

Aww what are your bunnies names? It does begin to get easier as time passes & they get used to you and you start to understand them! Promise! I was totally the same as you when I first got my 2 and was constantly worry about them, are they too hot are they too cold, are they eating, drinking, pooping! can they eat this..can they eat that! etc.. I'm sure you're doing a great job! At least you love & care about them and want to do the right thing by them. How old are your little cuties? Finding a good bunny vet is so important too. Loadsa luck :)

it's okay to worry about them. i always worry about my pets too. i just think it means that we want to make sure they are safe and sound is all. i'm sure you are doing a fantastic job.

We Have Rex A 13 Wk Old Dutch And Coco An 8wk Old Netherland Dwarf. She Still Not Eating Mush Dried Food At All But Seems To Be Munching On Straw , Hay And Some Spring Greens That I Put In.. We Have Wee And Poop So I Take It She Is Happy Enough.... Should I Worry That She Is Not Eating Her Proper Food??

We Have Rex A 13 Wk Old Dutch And Coco An 8wk Old Netherland Dwarf. She Still Not Eating Mush Dried Food At All But Seems To Be Munching On Straw , Hay And Some Spring Greens That I Put In.. We Have Wee And Poop So I Take It She Is Happy Enough.... Should I Worry That She Is Not Eating Her Proper Food??

If she's eating her hay thats great! Hay should make up 90% of your bunnies diet - so it is her proper food! They need it to grind their teeth down & for their sensetive bellies. They dont eat straw though, so thats better for bedding only

She's a wee bit young to be eating much fresh veggies, wait til she's a few months old before giving lots of that cos you dont want her to get an upset stomach. Stick to lots of good quality hay, and just a little bit of dry food each day

She's eating hay so thats really great! Hay should make up for most of their diet. They need hay to grind their teeth down & for their sensitive little tummies. Straw is for bedding, although my 2 munch on it! They pretty much munch on anything come to think of it!!

I think she is a little bit young to be eating too much fresh vegtables though, Personally I'd wait until she's a little bit older because it may cause an upset tummy. Although, I didn't know this at the time and my 2 were fine! But this is what is advised for baby buns. You should defo continue with lots of good quality hay, & a little dry food each day! :) Good luck x

They are a worry but the others are right does get easier. I've had my Cookie for 6 months now. Few months ago I was at the vets worried about his weight and I did say to the vet, don't think I should have pets as I worry so much about them. She told me that I am the sort of person to have them because I obviously care. Still worry about him loads, went through neutering few weeks ago. BUT next week am picking up Honey another Nethie dwarf - a friend for him. Few months ago I never thought I'd have another. Keep positive and enjoy them. Best of luck x

Yes they are a worry but sooooooooo rewarding!
Try not to worry too much, I should take my own advise on that one :lol:
I am constantly worried about Jims, he is my little baby. But like the others have said worrying means you care!
As long as your newbie is eating a good amount of hay then do not worry that you are not going through much dry food as that is only meant to make up a SMALL part of the diet anyway.
Jims is a dwaf lop 15 months old and he is eating only a (ice cream) scoop size of bikkies twice a day. (Breakfast and Dinner) He has 'veggies' as a pre lunch and a post dinner, he lives on herbs as they seem to be the only thing not to upset his tummy, so he has about 2 sprigs of parsley, about 4 mint leaves and a few basil leaves twice a day, then as a treat a couple of times a week he has about an inch size of a carrot/ 1 sprout OR a small bit of tenderstem broccoli) the rest of his diet is made up of lots of hay and dried grass.

I have rehomed 2 beautiful rex rabbits this year after my other 2 passed away at a mature age.

I was really worried about them at first, especially as my last bun was unwell for the last months of her life. I am the opposite to you and worry that they eat too much as don't want to them ending up overweight (being rexes they have vulnerable hocks)

If you are concerned about her eating, it may be worth weighing her regularly. I do that with mine - it helps ease any concerns, can make any adjustments to their diets and is good to have a general base line as to their weights.

For all the worries, they are worth it, best of luck and hope you enjoy your bunnies despite the worries. I also agree that worrying and keeping an eye of them shows you are a caring owner:wave:

hi,:wave:
thanks for your help.
i have stopped giving her fresh food, so i wont risk upsetting her stomach .
she has started to eat her food now, she is on the flackey colourful stuff but i am adding a few pellets in so that i can gradually change her over to the pellets completly but it takes time i know..
she loves her hay but she is also munching her straw too, i have even caught her eating saw dust so i have removed all sawdust out of her hutch now.

Back