• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Low Temperature Missy isnt well :(-UPDATE

kcbunny

Young Bun
came in from school today and let the buns out as usual and noticed missy wasnt herself :(

she is usually a feisty little rabbit and loves to be out but just sat there and didnt come out -she let me picke her up and didnt growl or struggle so consulted my neighbour who is very experienced with rabbits who checked her over and couldnt find anything obvious

soooo took her to the vets who also couldnt find anything but the fact that she had a low temperature

he said this can be a really bad sign, gave her antibiotics anti inflammatory injection and have some oral antibs too

came home put her heat pad in loads of straw and covered the door of her hutch with a towel to block drafts, pulled the tarpaulin down-hopefully her huge husband will snuggle her up

anyone any advice?? if no better tomorrow we have to bring her back to the vet

am really worried about her :(

Last edited:
You need to bring her indoors. She wont be able to cope outside if she's already hypothermic.
Is she eating ?
Is she pooing ?

thanks for the reply have just been out and brought her and frank in put them in the downstairs loo for the night with their box hopefully they will keep each other snuggled

she isnt eating -when i offered her greens tonight she didnt even bat an eyelid

not sure on the poos as hard to tell who's are who's

any more suggestions please? what could be wrong with her? couldnt bear to lose her :(

thanks for the reply have just been out and brought her and frank in put them in the downstairs loo for the night with their box hopefully they will keep each other snuggled

she isnt eating -when i offered her greens tonight she didnt even bat an eyelid

not sure on the poos as hard to tell who's are who's

any more suggestions please? what could be wrong with her? couldnt bear to lose her :(

I am sorry, I was not online when you made your last post.
I am affraid that she really does sound to be very poorly and if she has made it through the night I'd get her back to the Vet for admission and Intensive Care as soon as the Vets open.

She will probably need IV fluids and assisted feeding aswell as medication.
Good luck and please keep us updated.

thanks again she is still with us but doesnt seem any better-no worse but no better

the vet said to see how she was at tea time today after more oral antibs and if no better take her back then? should I wait or take her back now?

am thinking to keep her in the house still

I would take her back now if I were you lass, a bunny that's not eating or pooing is in quite a serious situation. Their bodies are designed to be constantly taking in and and pooing out food.

Do you know how long it's been since she last ate? My vet says that if a rabbit hasn't eaten within 12 hours it needs attention. Maybe it's gut stasis she has which might have occured due to stress with the sudden drop in temperature over the past few days.

My rabbit Honey stopped eating last Saturday night and she was taken to the vet and given a gut stimulant and pain relief. This didn't do the job so she had to go back in on Sunday for the same medication, fluids and critical care. thankfully she started eating again after a day or so of being syringe fed but she's now been in the vet for 4 days.

ok didnt take her this morning as vet said to leave till later in the day to give the antibs a chance to work

come in from work and she seems a little brighter and is eating a little bit of greens-also seems to have pooed and has had a drink

-does this seem more positive?? her ears dont feel cold either but they did yesterday

am keeping her in the house again tonight

thanks again

If she has started eating it sounds more positive.

Did you vet check for statis when you went?

he felt her tummy -would that be a check for stasis? he said she had nothing obviously wrong with her, eyes bright, tummy ok teeth ok bum ok just that she was very cold

missy has just growled at me! this is much more like her!

I went to check them before and frank actually had his arm round her asleep in the box together it was sooo gorgeous

i know she isnt out of the woods yet but fingers crossed she has turned the corner

I hope Missy is ok now :)
It can take days or weeks to get over a bought of stasis so you need to keep a very close eye on her for a while yet xx

thanks everyone for the replies it means a lot!

she is even better today snatched the greens off me and was out of bed when I opened the door she has also scoffed some pellets :)

am thinking to let her out in the garden for half an hour after school then keeo indoors again over night?

It would probably be a good idea to let her out in the garden, keep an eye on her though, just incase, and I personally would bring her in as the nights are getting pretty cold now, and seeing as she iss still not 100% I would keep her in tonight,but that's just my opinion, anybody else got any suggestions?

P.S. Glad she is better!!

just to update and thank again for advice and support

took Missy back to the vets on wednesday as she still wasnt right and seemed to have discomfort in her tummy

the vet said she couldnt feel a blockage but she is very windy so has given zantac twice a day for a week

she is eating and plopping ok

seems a little brighter today-she growled and tried to bite me :love:

Back