• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

silky update

rexy&coco

Warren Scout
:( ITS NOT LOOKING GOOD FOR POOR SILKY, THE VET HAD HER IN ALL DAY YESTERDAY AND SHE WAS SYRINGE FED EVERY 2 HOURS, AND BY 5PM SHE SEEMED TO HAVE PERKED UP SLIGHTLY, THEY ARE ALSO CONTINUING WITH HER ANTIBIOTICS.
OVER NIGHT SHE DID EAT A LITTLE, BUT BY THIS MORNING SHE HAD GONE DOWN HILL QUITE FAST, SO THE VET KEPT HER IN FOR THE DAY AGAIN, ANDPOOR SILKY HAS PASSED A 4 INCH WORM, AND SEEMS TO HAVE PLENTY MORE:(.
THE VET HAS ONLY GIVEN HER A 20% CHANCE OF MAKING IT...:cry:
I HAVE ONLY HAD POOR SILKY FOR 2 WEEKS AND SHE IS NOW 13 WEEKS OLD.THE VET SAID THAT THE SHOP MUST HAVE SOLD HER TO ME WITH THE WORMS ALREADY IN HER AS IT WAS AN ADULT WORM THAT SHE PASSED OUT...
I AM FURIOUS WITH THE STORE , I HAVE BROKEN THE NEWS TO MY DEVASTATED DAUGHTER. I HAVE PHONED THE STORE TO COMPLAIN, THEY SAY HER SIBBLINGS ALL SEEM FINE-WHICH MY VET DOUBTS VERY MUCH.
THE VET HAS HER OVERNIGHT TONIGHT BUT I AM DREADING PHONING IN THE MORNING AS THE CHANCE THAT IT WILL BE NEWS THAT I WANT IS REALLY REALLYSLIM.
CLAIRE

Was it a tape worm?

I'm sorry things are so rough. I hope that she can come through this.

Please keep us updated.

I am so sorry about this :(

Unfortunately that can be the trouble with pet shop animals, you dont know what condition the babies were brought up in etc... :( This isnt fair on you or your daughter, I would def go back and tell them whats happening, DONT LET THEM GIVE YOU ANOTHER BUN!!

But I do hope Silky makes it through, hopefully your vet is bun savvy, do you know whether he is panacurring her?? (Panacur do a worming paste/ solution for buns)

Dont give up on her, buns have spirit.

You know where I am if you need me xxx

Thanks Everyone, I Also Bought Another Bun The Same Time And He Is A Dutch And The Vet Has Had Me Take Him In For Worming And It Is Panacur So I Would Think She Is Doing The Same For Silky..
I Have Demanded The Pet Shop Pay All Of The Vets Bills As I Have Bought Her With The Problem From Them And That She Wasn't Healthy When I Have Bought Her And They Are Getting Back Intouch With Me Tomorrow, Think I May Have A Fight On My Hands.. She Has Only Been Having Treatment For 3 Days And So Far Its Cost 92 Pound, Which Is Well Spent If She Can Hang On In There..

But I do hope Silky makes it through, hopefully your vet is bun savvy, do you know whether he is panacurring her?? (Panacur do a worming paste/ solution for buns)

That only deals with small worms, which is sounds like this isn't (4 inches is just SCARY!).

There are other treatments for the bigger parasites (unfortunately we had to go through that last year when one of my fosters showed signs of a tapeworm).

Just thought I'd say that for interests sake :)

ETA-now maybe its relevant (which it wasn't when I was actually typing and posting).

Back