• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Worried Bunny Owner

Bunny Newb

New Kit
Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can give me some advice.

We got a couple of eight week old mini lops and I just don't understand their behavior.

At 1st they seemed to get on ok cuddled up in the bedroom of their hutch but I have noticed now that one is chasing the other around, at 1st I thought maybe its just them playing but seems a bit more now.

Yoda is very quiet and does not like to be touched even by us so we give her time and sit with her and let her come up to us so thats why I thought maybe she doesn't like been touched by Jar Jar however she's happy to have Jar Jar near her even cuddling to sleep but as soon as Jar Jar gets her mouth close to rear end she's off like a shot! So I'm thinking maybe Jar Jar is biting her.

I am also worried Yoda isn't getting enough food if Jar Jar is bullying her, so today i've had to lock Jar Jar in the hutch and let Yoda out to eat coz all she does is sit quietly in the corner.

They were both in the same enclosure when I bought them and they seemed quiet close in there, i just feel awful for Yoda.

If someone could advise me on how to make them get on this I would be very grateful, I just get very upset when Yoda looks so sad. :(

Thank You in advance x

What sex are they and I dont mean what sex were you told they were, as so many rabbits are wrongly sexed at this age. Have this done by a very experienced rabbit owner or vet. If they are opposite sex the one who is chasing the other is probably the male and they need to be separated as they can start breeding from about 12 weeks. Have him neutered and then maybe they can go back together (but he must be kept away from her for about 3 weeks after the op):D

Well I was told they are both girls.

I cant get them into a vet till Monday so I suppose I'll find out then.

Should I separate them in the mean time? Its not a constant fighting or biting just every now and again. They are fine the majority of the time.

Tricky one - if it is poss ones a boy then it is best to seperate. But if its nipping rather than humping then its probaby two girls and their hormones have arrived. They will need to be neutered when they get to about 5 months or 1kg in weight.

In the meantime they need LOTS of space so they don't annoy each other!

Do you want me to come round and sex them for you? Im only down the road. They may well both be girls, the nipping may just be one bun trying to be the 'dominant' bunny. With 2 female bunnies, there are lots of hormones around.

Its not good if Yoda isnt able to eat from the same bowl of Jar Jar... normally a pair of bonded bunnies will share food from the same bowl :? Have you tried putting 2 bowls of food in, 1 at each end of the hutch? Just because they were from the same pen at the shop, doesnt mean they will get on immdiately unfortunately :(

Hope they start behaving soon! Which vets did you manage to get them into? xXx

That sounds like a plan Becky. :)

I got them in at Vets4pets for a initial check up on monday to make sure they are in good health.

They are eating fine now same bowl same hay manger. I've only had them 4 days so they are still just settling in.

Jar Jar does like to muscle in when we are trying to hand feed Yoda as she is taking a little longer to bond with us.

We will be free on thursday after about 3pm if thats any good. Would be great if you could come over, would put my mind at ease too.

Thank You.

P.s Let me know then i'll PM you my address. x

Coco likes to have a good snuff under Missy's tail every so often :oops: Which Missy gets all edgy over and runs off, causing Coco to chase after in a huff.
She's a bit of a moody wotsit though and has funny turns. So she'll chase Missy for no reason too, sometimes pulling a chunk of fur out! :shock:
But they'll always snuggle straight afterwards :love:

Back