• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

4 month old boys 'humping' all the time.

npg1

Young Bun
I have 2 babies who are boys and about 4 months old. The past couple of days all they have been doing is humping. There is a more dominating one who always gets on top and most of the time he's at the wrong end! The other one does have a go every now and then but I just feel sorry for him when the other one is on top! I am thinking of having them done also, thanks!

They definitely need to be neutered asap. There is also a very high chance of them fighting each other (most likely at dusk or dawn), so it may be worth thinking about separating them and then when they are healed and recovered from their neuters, rebonding them back (especially if the neuters are not within the next few days).

The other thing to check is to ensure they are both boys, so that you don't face an accidental litter in a few weeks.

Boys get their hormones, pretty much a soon, as their testes drop.
It's their hormones telling them to do this.
My advice would be, (not for just this reason) but is to neuter them.
:wave:

Hi, thank you all for replying so quickly and for the great advice.

well I am now slightly concerned, they are still inside, going to put them out in a bit but they are still trying to hump and every now and then one is getting fed up with it and im worried they are going to have a fight. What do I do tonight? I could try and block the hutch where the ramp goes up to the top with a piece of wood or something but its dark out there and probably cant see very well. Or should I seperate tomorrow?

They are booked in for a check in 2 weeks time but will def get them done, should i phone around tomorrow to try and get them in asap?

Hi

Hi,

I have two male bunnies, they're brothers and have been together since they were born. They displayed the same behaviour a few months ago when they were around the same age as your pair. Merry was dominating pippin and kept humping him all the time. I booked them in to get neutered and my vet kept them together and did them the same day. I kept them together during their healing period at home and just kept a very close eye on them for about 3-4 days. Its about 4 weeks later now and they get on perfectly, neither appear to be more dominant than the other. They both snuggle together and groom each other all the time. The humping continued for a day or two after the operation but I dont think ive seen merry do it for a few weeks now. Im delighted with the result of the op because i was so worried that they would eventually fight and lose their bond. I think your two should be alright together for now until their operation. But obviosly if your worried and think you should seperate them do so. Id just be worried they'll lose the bond they have. I hope this helps!!

Sassal :wave:

Hi. Thanks everyone. They seemed to settle in the end last night and today have been in again and ok. I have managed to get them booked in for thursday to have the op, bit worried how it will go but sure they will be fine!

boys are a lot easier to do than girls just think next to no fighting no spraying no continous humping :D

Back